Getting deposit back on a van

redmoosefaction

Hi,

I've just put a deposit down on a iveco daily, but have just seen another one with the same spec and at the same price but with a roller shutter tool box behind the cab ( which would save a load of time/money/trouble having to sort one out.)

Do you think I can get my deposit back? Am I legally entitled to it. I didn't sign anything, he gave me a receipt, but there was no terms and conditions. He is a van hire business selling trucks on the side, this wasn't one of his ex fleet.

Should I maybe offer the guy a £100 for inconvenience?

Thoughts please ladies and gentlemen.

When ive sold cars in the past ive always stated non refundable deposit, Saves any hassle that way.

If it was me id just be dead honest, Ring him and say, Ive since seen a van that is better for my needs, Can i have my deposit back :001_cool: See how he reacts

I reckon you'll have to bite the bullet and put it down to experience mate.

I bet he was well chuffed to have made a sale and will be equally gutted when you ask for the deposit back. The oner might tickle his fancy but I doubt it and besides I dont think he has to give it back cos aint a verbal agreement legally binding?

Edit:I dont think you should mess him about tbh.

Edited by Mick Stockbridge

I am sure he has no obligation to refund your deposit and if you take it to the extreme he may even have a case to insist that you complete the purchase. I would explain your situation to him and put the ball in his court about how he feels about you pulling out of the deal. Take into account that he may well have turned down other potential buyers on the basis that you had bought the vehicle.