husky 266se any ideas

apvinny

ok so stripped carb again on 266 and 61, reset metering arm pressure tested carb to barrel which was good put a thin piece of wire in impulse hole in barrel does the hole go all way into piston mine never.anyway put all back together and started carb with settings which was suggested high setting needed a little fettling but i think they are both close to being ok. carb needs slight adjustment i think as im not a 100% on this but they run ok.thanks for all your help i have learnt loads thanks to you guys.anyway another 266 lives after i picked it out of a skip.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

ok fellas so the saw has been running ok but last few times it is using gallons of bar oil.this morning i have took off muffler ang pressure tested the oil tank and i have bubbles coming from where the casings meet and the bronze oil vent . is this the problem for the oil coming out far too much or is it another problem i have to fix,waiting in nervous anticipation vince

On 12/07/2020 at 19:06, apvinny said:

ok so stripped carb again on 266 and 61, reset metering arm pressure tested carb to barrel which was good put a thin piece of wire in impulse hole in barrel does the hole go all way into piston mine never.anyway put all back together and started carb with settings which was suggested high setting needed a little fettling but i think they are both close to being ok. carb needs slight adjustment i think as im not a 100% on this but they run ok.thanks for all your help i have learnt loads thanks to you guys.anyway another 266 lives after i picked it out of a skip.

Best saws on conifer . Bar non . Well done , K

There should be no leakage from the crankcase joint, as was said this is the gasket leaking, you could just make sure the case bolts are tight, but I would guess it's crankcase apart to replace the gasket, with the saw stood does the oil actually leak out? if not you can adjust the pump flow, it's a 4 position pump.

• Like 2

pump is on number 2 setting.yeah it does leak when sitting. i thought it was leaking from exhaust bolts that go into tank but once i plugged all tank openings and pressurised oil tank and see bubbles i feared the worst . obviously it wasn't coming out of exhaust bolts but under the exhaust where the two cases join.never done a case split job really not looking forward to it if i have to do it.plus swmbo won't be happy for me to buy a splitter

Edited by apvinny

6 minutes ago, apvinny said:

pump is on number 2 setting.yeah it does leak when sitting. i thought it was leaking from exhaust bolts that go into tank but once i plugged all tank openings and pressurised oil tank and see bubbles i feared the worst . obviously it wasn't coming out of exhaust bolts but under the exhaust where the two cases join.never done a case split job really not looking forward to it if i have to do it.plus swmbo won't be happy for me to buy a splitter

Just send it to Spud .  You may have just averted a lean seize  if air copuld get in . 

• Like 1

I have just done a CD380 - yup it breaks my "owners of vintage machines should know how to fix them" rule but fixing it came with a hefty bill - well hefty in terms of the value of the machine but the owner was a bit attached to it!

This machine had a BIG air leak and after sealing the PTO side seal and auxiliary seal, it still leaked badly and eventually found the leak was between the cases due to loose screws (rare) - pretty much all the screws were loose. I cranked them all down and it sealed 100% - on a more valuable saw I may have done a full strip but on a 40 year old saw.........! The saw worked out just fine, big bill but it is a big saw in good order now!

Anyway - CHECK THE CRANKCASE SCREWS, crank them all down and hopefully, they will be loose and on tightening, you may be lucky and get a good seal and the gasket will be stuck to the jointing face and not sucked in to the crank case or oil tank cavity.