I'll never use echo again

Hanz-on

57 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

You've over tightened that. That's how bar studs strip. Plenty of manufacturers mount bar studs into plastic

Just put a brand new chain on, left bolt a bit loose as I'm wary of how fragile this tiny thing is, chain became slack nipped it up slightly more nowhere near as tight as my 201s or 261 or 661 ect.... and it shit itself. I definitely wasnt heavy handed with it ever obviously something made it come out but saw has been babied more than any other bit of kit own. Loved the power to weight and the fact it has no chip in it but i love my fingers more 

Just put a brand new chain on, left bolt a bit loose as I'm wary of how fragile this tiny thing is, chain became slack nipped it up slightly more nowhere near as tight as my 201s or 261 or 661 ect.... and it shit itself. I definitely wasnt heavy handed with it ever obviously something made it come out but saw has been babied more than any other bit of kit own. Loved the power to weight and the fact it has no chip in it but i love my fingers more 

They aren’t fragile at all. Had my 2511 since they came out. Had it modded by spud and it’s an awesome saw. Doesn’t need any special treatment. I’d say tougher than the current plastic fantastic saws by stihl.
201’s have far more a reputation for disintegrating handles and filter covers .....
  • Like 3

you can mount things in/on plastic etc quite securely just use a splayed metal insert then mounting bolt is held in that

Can use things like rivet nuts and had like collapsible inserts that worked on plastic bumper ware for two up two down spotlight brackets  in sierra the other one can get is a threaded insert that bites into plastics and won't come out

Tbh it isnt a known issue. It is to do with tightening the bar nut too tight otherwise there would be a lot more of this going on, and there isnt.

Ive seen a few 50/60cc stihl and husky machines with broken bar studs, there is only one reason why they have failed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ian C said:

Have 2 fir over 2 years and had no bother at all, you will find there’s plenty of moans about ms150s being made of paper !

Hopefully i get a good 150 and I got a bad echo I did really like the saw and did sing its praises but when the stud came out and the metal insert disintegrated in my hands like foil my mind was made up. I used to try to use the 201 for everything but it gets a bit snatchy with the smaller stuff also it's great to have a pruning saw you cant even tell is on the harness. To be honest it was a knee-jerk reaction to sell the echo and buy the stihl but if I'd got another echo and it happened again but worse I'd only have myself to blame. Also I didn't like that the chain adjuster was built into the chain cover. 

Edited by Hanz-on
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

Tbh it isnt a known issue. It is to do with tightening the bar nut too tight otherwise there would be a lot more of this going on, and there isnt.

Ive seen a few 50/60cc stihl and husky machines with broken bar studs, there is only one reason why they have failed.

So your telling me a bad saw cant leave the factory? It's never happened, sounds a bit naive to me 

6 hours ago, lux said:

They aren’t fragile at all. Had my 2511 since they came out. Had it modded by spud and it’s an awesome saw. Doesn’t need any special treatment. I’d say tougher than the current plastic fantastic saws by stihl.
201’s have far more a reputation for disintegrating handles and filter covers .....

Yep the filter covers are shite although I just got a 2019 one and the plastics all seem a lot tougher than my older ones and the filter cover and oil/fuel covers extra are secure compared to others I've used