Full crown reductions on Pine trees?

Ian Flatters

What ever you do to the poor tree is will look odd at best, SH:thumbdown:T at worst. Pine trees either need to be felled or left alone. Against my better judgement, a customer talked me into reducing a row of scots pine, which after two days carefull pruning they looked odd,and SH:thumbdown:T, and the customer then decided to have them felled, and replant with some smaller growing trees.

It's your call............

Double pay tho :thumbup:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By thinning some of the larger limbs from the crown, you can often achieve a neat reduction without losing natural shape.

If the spec is for increased light into an area, I will almost always sell the customer a crown thin/clean with the understanding that the tree will probably need the same treatment after a certain period of time. This way light travels through the crown, not "around" it. More light, less disruption to the tree.

I have been asked to top many many Scots as a contract climber. I try to be as sympathetic as possible, but if its the customers spec, and if the company who has asked me to work on the job is paying. Then thats what gets done. I am always thinking, that if it was my job and my customer, then I would have approached the job differently.

:. I know some people would 'top it' and think its better for a tree by letting the light in that way. .

:confused1:I really don't any one think its "better for the tree"????????

99% of what we do is for the benefit of the customer NOT the tree.

Thats why I don't say my firm does "tree care" cause I don't, I mostly do "tree harm" and "customer care".

Imo i try to enlighten the customer to what potential the tree has for the future. If they want it topped i would say its cheaper to remove it and replant in the long run? Or suggest thinning it?

I think part of our job (other than making a living) is to guide the customer to the best option for them.

Imo i try to enlighten the customer to what potential the tree has for the future. If they want it topped i would say its cheaper to remove it and replant in the long run? Or suggest thinning it?

I think part of our job (other than making a living) is to guide the customer to the best option for them.

:thumbup:

It's a Scots Pine...... there's gazillions of them in this country, they always take better to crown lifting and cleaning rather than reduction but to be honest, why bother? Fell it and replant with something else.

If it's a big granny pine or an ancient caledonian then that's a different matter altogether.