Signage

Dean Lofthouse

[quote=pecontools;23773

Has anyone else come across these idiots as often as I do or is it me that seems to attract people wanting to try and claim off me.

Some people are just oblivious, I have had pedestrians, joggers, rude boys walking through the work site, even traffic wardens. By far the worse was a mum and baba in pushchair, who lifted the warning tape entered the work area and then gave us a right dirty gobful as she couldn't get the pushchair over the small pile of brash waiting to be chipped.

(Before anyone asks there was an alternate footpath, she just couldn't be arsed to wait for other peds to walk through first!)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This worksite would be illegal in Sweden!:scared: I dont know law in UK but with the EU and all I would assume same rules apply. Over here that would be at least a ₤1000 upon a inspection by road authorities. I have just finished 2 courses involving roadworksafety and signage rules.

According to roadregulations you have to stop and give way to oncoming traffic if something is blocking the road in your lane.

In your signage here you are telling the driver that oncoming traffic has a narrover lane that usual and with your arrow you are telling him that its not a problem to pass your worksite, plenty of space to pass EVEN if a car is coming from opposite direction. DANGEROUS and YES you would be liable!

According to best working practise over here correct signage would be;

Men at work and sidemarking cones making the lane as narrow as possible to make sure traffic has to pass worksite at approx 20 mph (30 km/h) 3-3,5 meter wide. Dont use the arrow sign unless you can provide 2 lanes preferbly divided by sidemarking cones. If you park your car in your workzone make sure its parked in the end. :driver:

BE SAFE ON THE ROADS!:grinning-smiley-003

This is how I have always done it by taking note of how other road works are set out.

Who's done the course?

Is this layout correct?

This is how I have always done it by taking note of how other road works are set out.

Who's done the course?

Is this layout correct?

If you did it by the book you would have had traffic lights or a stop/go board, plus given the highways department 3 months notice! It's ridiculous the amount of cr*p you need to cart around with you and the time setting it all up. I would of done it exactly how you did and if any awkward b*stards came along I'd politely tell them where to go..................the other side of the f*cking road!!:cussing:

Pedestrians ar allways doing this to us, Only way round it is to have a physical barrier but carrying them is a pain. We hired some once for a big job, they blew over a lot and some tw*t ran over 2 of them.

I have been told that if you put a "please use other pavement " sign up and someone gets run over while crossing that you can be liable, not sure about this but you can imagine it happening.

Pedestrians ar allways doing this to us, Only way round it is to have a physical barrier but carrying them is a pain. We hired some once for a big job, they blew over a lot and some tw*t ran over 2 of them.

I have been told that if you put a "please use other pavement " sign up and someone gets run over while crossing that you can be liable, not sure about this but you can imagine it happening.

Yep heard that too, If you close a footpath you must provide a safe alternative route. I think that if someone has to cross the road because of your worksite and gets injured or worse by traffick, you re deffinatly in the shite.

Who's done the course?

Is this layout correct?

Hello mate as others have said if you were doing it properly you would of set it up differently. It all depends on speed limit of road, width of road, amount of traffic passing etc etc on how you set up the signs & cones. You also need your signing,coning & guarding ticket (another ticket!):)

Thanks for those links guys, looks like it was done correctly, cept the footpath.

What really annoys me is that a huge leaner posed a huge threat to traffic and pedestrians, I warned the customer and I drop everything the night before and get there at the crack of dawn as an emergency job.

You do the right thing to try and safeguard life and some aukward pillard comes along quoting signage rules and you'd be in court quicker than you can say jack flash if someone broke a finger nail on a bit of twig

You can't win