The Cooking Thread

AHPP

50 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Apologies if this offends.

I had a marmite and lettuce sandwich for breakfast - just because I felt like it!

That does offend me greatly I'm afraid, and I'll have to just skip straight over it and go back to the lard-based discussion on the previous page.

Back when I lived in the Alps, whenever we popped over to Italy for the day sometimes I'd buy a chunk of lardo, just cured back fat, same as prosciutto crudo or pancetta or guanciale but pure fat. Slice it thin and drape it over hot toasted bread, ideally something open-textured and chewy like a ciabatta, and the fat would warm up slightly and turn from milky white to translucent, like the windows in a smoker's apartment. 

Traditionally it would be served drizzled with honey and sprinkled with preserved chestnuts. 

Phenomenal stuff.

Edit

Google images just doesn't scratch the itch. I'm going to have to go to the Val d'Aoste right now.

Screenshot_20240729_083755_Ecosia.thumb.jpg.69342c332f227dab94b7cc60059ef1b2.jpg

Ah jeez, I can fill up on crespelle alla valdostane while I'm there! Pancakes stuffed with cooked ham and bechemel, covered with fontina cheese and baked until bubbling... gert lush, fam. 

Edited by peds
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PeteB said:

Homemade Moussaka for supper with a tomato salad!

Ahh come on now,  you can't just trot out the title and leave us hanging there. Things like this need a picture to get the sensories tingling. Probably too late now, and don't need to see inside the toilet bowl tomorrow 

• Haha 1

Marmite really is a divisive ingredient, isn't it.

On toast with scrambled eggs: delicious.

Stirred through pasta with a spoonful of the cooking water and a handful of grated parmesan: a little weird, but surprisingly good.

Tossed over parboiled potatoes before roasting in goose fat for savoury, crispy, roast potatoes: sublime.

Stirred into vegetarian chilli or ragu for umami and vitality: highly recommended. 

But this... soft bread, crispy lettuce, marmite... this does not spark joy.

The important thing is that you enjoy it though, and that you aren't eating it under duress, or as the forfeit of a bet you lost or something. 

• Like 1