Servicing chippers

8 hours ago, Mesterh said:

Let no one ever complain about paying a pro to cut down your tree.

Paying a pro for a pro job  is what I wanted, and set out to do. 

Being invited to pay near double the quote without any explanation was the point I was highlighting. 

I’d cut my own tree down....? 

I'm amazed, not really sure what explanation they can give as everything even the hourly rate was wrong.

Either they had no clue how to tally up costs, or they were trying to stick everything on they could think of. If the service manager needed contacting then a phone call, or follow up with invoice later. I would also vote with my feet.

9 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

One needs to be careful in whether it was a quote of an estimate. A quote is binding.

Agreed, actually, I’d say it was a phone discussion where I asked the service manager what the likely cost would be, he shouted over the mechanic who said 2hrs, service manager said 2 hrs @£50/hr + parts. I said, £200 should cover it then, he said,  yeah, easy. 

All informal, just decent blokes agreeing a ball-park figure for planning purposes. 

If, on collection (or perhaps more appropriately before proceeding) someone had said, Houston, we have a problem, we’ve opened her up and found a burst appendix, do you want us to order parts and crack on, that would have been perfectly acceptable. 

But rocking up with a 2x estimated bill with absolutely no knowledge or explanation of what / why, is going to make me look at the detail and start asking awkward questions about why they’ve added dubious elements such as cleaning and top rate for a whole can of white grease when maybe a 1/5 of a can would have been used, why the 4hrs Labour comes in at £60/hr rather £50 etc etc. 

So far as I can discern, there were no unexpected tasks, no extras etc. Absolutely no justification and that’s why they just pulled the bill and issued another @£188 seemingly, without batting an eyelid. 

So yes, a verbal estimate, not binding, but if you’re gonna bump it’s up you’d better be ready with a good justification. 

• Like 2

Sounds like its been handled wrong and you've not been kept up to speed with the job.

To service a tracked 6" machine properly it will take 4 hours. Whilst you can "service it in an hour"  as some folk have said that's not a proper workshop service, more of an off - on filter changed and engine oil replacement.

On an ArbTrak 150 we would jack the machine up, let the tension of the tracks go. Check all the track idlers (most tracked machines we get come in their idler bearings are long gone) re tension the tracks, blow out radiator, replace / test coolant, tension / replace fan belt, engine oil, fuel filters, air filter, check fuel tank for debris (usually full up with all sorts) drain and clean fuel tank, fill tank back up with original diesel through a gauze filter, check hydraulic oil & replace if required, check around flywheel, remove, sharpen and replace blades with new bolts, washers and nuts. Check over feed rollers, check hydraulic pipe work and around the machine properly, grease up, usually rectify field "make do and mends"  wash off, write up job card and carry out service check list report.

If you can do all of that in an hour. Send us your CV!

If we book a can of spray specifically on a job we'll give the customer the rest of the can. If we use a bit of cleaner, lube, grease etc we'll just stick a consumable charge down. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GA Groundcare said:

Sounds like its been handled wrong and you've not been kept up to speed with the job.

To service a tracked 6" machine properly it will take 4 hours. Whilst you can "service it in an hour"  as some folk have said that's not a proper workshop service, more of an off - on filter changed and engine oil replacement.

On an ArbTrak 150 we would jack the machine up, let the tension of the tracks go. Check all the track idlers (most tracked machines we get come in their idler bearings are long gone) re tension the tracks, blow out radiator, replace / test coolant, tension / replace fan belt, engine oil, fuel filters, air filter, check fuel tank for debris (usually full up with all sorts) drain and clean fuel tank, fill tank back up with original diesel through a gauze filter, check hydraulic oil & replace if required, check around flywheel, remove, sharpen and replace blades with new bolts, washers and nuts. Check over feed rollers, check hydraulic pipe work and around the machine properly, grease up, usually rectify field "make do and mends"  wash off, write up job card and carry out service check list report.

If you can do all of that in an hour. Send us your CV!

If we book a can of spray specifically on a job we'll give the customer the rest of the can. If we use a bit of cleaner, lube, grease etc we'll just stick a consumable charge down. 

What you've described there is exactly what I wanted - and expected from a dealer - and would have paid for.

I asked the question on pick-up, have they rotated the blades?  Didn't know.  Could you check please.  Yes, I'll have to call you back.  Waiting....  I haven't had a chance to get it out and have a look myself yet but that's taking up my time and effort which are at a premium at the moment.  That's not the sort of checking I want to have to do having used a 'reputable' dealer.

I don't know if it's a 2 hr or a 4 hr job, but you make a very credible and understandable case for 4 hrs.  That's why I asked the question before I booked it in.  

So now I'm left thinking did I get a low end job for a high end price?

Would you say what you charge per hr labour?

Screenshot 2020-03-16 at 12.20.01.png

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

We charge £49 per hour plus vat.

I can see from the invoice that you have posted the dealership uses a software called "Gold". On workshop jobs you can use a pre written description to add to the service invoice. For example your one could be "workshop story 2" and the system could have 40 service descriptions, or more. The person who's creating the invoice will just add the pre written code in. The workshop story isn't specific to your machine. 

I like to type everything up that we have done so the invoice is specific to the machine. Any notes can be added, customer requests, advisories, customer didn't want X done etc etc. It does take a bit of time but then there is also no grey areas with what has or hasn't been done. It also reinforces the labour we charge. People are usually happy to pay good money in return for a good job.

• Like 3