Servicing chippers

I think that’s unreasonable, bobcat do first service for free!!? first service I guess normally subsidised at least as it’s a very important service. 

Truth be told I enjoy servicing them as much as driving them so maybe I’m a little biased. 

Oil and filters as you described would be around £50. So that’s £125 labour ish per machine. I could knock a machine out in an hour easy and that’d include greasing!

but each to their own! Sounds a fair dealer price but I’d rather the money in my pocket for an easy couple hours work. 

Edited by doobin

1 minute ago, doobin said:

I think that’s unreasonable, bobcat do first service for free!!? first service I guess normally subsidised at least as it’s a very important service. 

Truth be told I enjoy servicing them as much as driving them so maybe I’m a little biased. 

Oil and filters as you described would be around £50. So that’s £125 labour ish per machine. I could knock a machine out in an hour easy and that’d include greasing!

but each to their own! 

Didn’t for me - they wanted at least £200 (but wouldn’t commit to an actual price!). I bought the full first service filter kit from a different bobcat dealer (on principle, but to maintain the warranty with no wriggle-room) for £70ish plus fluids and got my mechanic to sort (so I have an invoice to prove it’s been done).

I enjoy spannering/servicing my kit but really struggle for time nowadays so have a guy in half a day a week. It’s amazing what doesn’t get picked up though - things that I’d notice as an owner/operator that lads don’t report and the mechanic hasn’t the hands-on operating experience to notice (oversensitive stop-bars as an example). 

• Like 2

What machine kevin? I spend a day a week on Machinary, trucks and saws ,often wonder if it would be better paying a fitter a day a week as my knowledge is limited... thing is though I’ll know I’ll do it right what I can do other than pay for dubious at best for services that leave machines more prone to failure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MattyF said:

What machine kevin? I spend a day a week on Machinary, trucks and saws ,often wonder if it would be better paying a fitter a day a week as my knowledge is limited... thing is though I’ll know I’ll do it right what I can do other than pay for dubious at best for services that leave machines more prone to failure.

You’ll soon learn more than your average main dealer 18 year old ‘fitter’

• Like 3

Oil, air and fuel filters are all on-line at reasonable prices.

Servicing small engined machines yourself is a very easy money saver, and has been said by Doobin, you can do it just as well as any mechanic.

Plus it gets you more familiar with the machine. I have had climbers work for me for whom the chipper is just ‘wood in chip out’ no idea of what happens inside.

If you’re really worried get a guy to do it for you and watch him.

Once you’ve done it yourself it’s 1 hrs work.

• Like 3

OK folks, think my new nickname might be "the gimp" feel free to comment!

Main dealer Tw160 service, plus 4 new genuine TW blades (£330 Inc vat).

Total cost ; £918.

Last year i did get a couple of days tree work off the dealership owner as he lives nearby.

• Sad 1