What chainsaw should i buy ???????

sylvie111

Just to back up other comments on the training thing - if you're going to buy a chainsaw and you've not used one before then CS 30 basic cross cut and maintenace is a must.

When you're doing the course you'll get plenty of good advice on what saw would most suit you.

It makes sense to do the course finanacially - you need to know how to sharpen a chainsaw and maintain it as otherwise you'll be to and fro from the local garden machinery shop all the time.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I must see the world very differently to most.

I have never had any formal training, my dad used a saw when I was a boy, never had any training or any accidents. (He never let me use it)

Not long after I got married at 20, I hired a saw to fell some dead Elms for fire wood, my dad showed me how to sharpen it.

I then bought my own saw and a sharpening kit.

I felled and cut up lots of trees (some pretty big) having only read the book that came with my SH Husky 266. The book showed how to make felling cuts, maintain the saw and sharpen the chain.

Once I got into the trade I watched other climbers, bought some SH climbing gear and taut myself at the week end.

I can recall felling and crosscutting in shorts and trainers, when I first got my saw.(not recommended)

I personally find all this "you must have training" attitude a little patronising. I wonder if treating people as thou they are incapable is leading to the lack of self confidence and common sense.

PS I have been assessed and obtained my NPTC.

Edited by skyhuck

I personally find all this "you must have training" attitude a little patronising. I wonder if treating people as thou they are incapable is leading to the lack of self confidence and common sense.

Tbh I dont think its patronising.

Dont forget that not everyone has the natural skills, abilities or common sense that some have.

Some people are natural climbers where as others have to work at it,so I guess it would be the same with using saws etc.

I know a couple of people that dont have driving licenses but still drive, they claim that they dont need anyone to tell them how to drive. They may be right but I dont see it that way.

Now I know driving a 2 ton car is a lot more extreme than using a saw and a lot more hazardous to others but its the only analogy I could come up with :001_smile:

Tbh I dont think its patronising.

Dont forget that not everyone has the natural skills, abilities or common sense that some have.

Some people are natural climbers where as others have to work at it,so I guess it would be the same with using saws etc.

I know a couple of people that dont have driving licenses but still drive, they claim that they dont need anyone to tell them how to drive. They may be right but I dont see it that way.

Now I know driving a 2 ton car is a lot more extreme than using a saw and a lot more hazardous to others but its the only analogy I could come up with :001_smile:

I take your point, but is that a reason to treat all as though they have limited ability??

The car analogy is far from idea (as you point out), you don't need training to drive on your own land, a license is one of the conditions for joining the "club" that use the public roads.

You can get a gun and a gun license without training, maybe the checks that are done in order to obtain a gun license show you are fit to own a gun???

I take your point, but is that a reason to treat all as though they have limited ability??

The car analogy is far from idea (as you point out), you don't need training to drive on your own land, a license is one of the conditions for joining the "club" that use the public roads.

You can get a gun and a gun license without training, maybe the checks that are done in order to obtain a gun license show you are fit to own a gun???

Well its best imo to suggest some type of training rather than not, how could we asses there ability?

The car one, I'll think of something better :001_smile:

As for the gun without a license, well I dont agree with that tbh. I would of expected at least a bit of training before being allowed to own a gun!

If one of your boys wanted to use a saw to knock a tree down would you just give him the saw or would you watch him?

As for the gun without a license, well I dont agree with that tbh. I would of expected at least a bit of training before being allowed to own a gun!

Shotgun you can apply and if you have been a good boy then no problem with getting the necessary. Anything else and some form of training, though sometimes informal, is required in the form of club membership for 6 months or mentoring :thumbup: But it is down to the local issuing forces discretion.

Dave- you had no FORMAL training, but your father was in a position to set you on the right path with his knowledge. For those that havent got a father/ relative/ good mate to show them or "train" them, formal training is the only option, or learning from mistakes, which could be costly, or at worst, deadly. I dont think that everyone should be paying loads to get NPTC tickets, but until shops are a little more conscious of what they are selling without any guidelines then i reckon training like the 2 day basic course is an excellent idea.

I totally agree about the books that come with stihl and husky saws (i cant comment on other manufacturers) and would also point out that most of te pics and even text in the Lantyra training books are lifted out of the saw manuals that come with the saw.

When i do a demo with the sawmill at my local saw supplier, i am flabbergasted at the number of people ( a constant stream) who are paying £15-20 for a chain sharpen!!

For around £200 i still maintain that its worth every penny, although i do agree that its not an issue that should be forced onto people.:001_smile:

Hello all,

Could someone recommend a chainsaw, i would like to buy one for my partner mainly for chopping up wood for the wood burner.

Ive had a look and Husqvara and stihl seem to be the ones to go for but which model and where is the best place to buy from online.

Any advice would be very helpful.:thumbup1:

Thanks

Husqvarna 357xp :thumbup1:

• 2 weeks later...

Husqvarna 142 :001_cool:

Brilliant little saw that lives in the truck all the time and gets used by a fair number of people who are impressed what a £220 saw can do. I bought it as a backup and general dogsbody saw, and it quite happily gets on with hard work withouth grumbling. It's obviously built to a budget so some parts are a little bit Fisher Price, and maintenance is a bit more time consuming compared to professional saws as accessing engine parts involves undoing screws rather than just unclipping quick release catches.

Up against my 357 it stands fairly proud!

• 1 year later...
Husqvarna 142 :001_cool:

Brilliant little saw that lives in the truck all the time and gets used by a fair number of people who are impressed what a £220 saw can do. I bought it as a backup and general dogsbody saw, and it quite happily gets on with hard work withouth grumbling. It's obviously built to a budget so some parts are a little bit Fisher Price, and maintenance is a bit more time consuming compared to professional saws as accessing engine parts involves undoing screws rather than just unclipping quick release catches.

Up against my 357 it stands fairly proud!

Is the 142 not a little lacking in power though?

I'm just curious - I'm looking for a little saw myself, I work in conservation so am looking for something that will handle small trees (15" or thereabouts), scrub clearance and rhododendron bushes, stuff like that. I was looking at the Husky 240 but thought it might be a little too underpowered.

But if you're saying the 142 does well, perhaps a 240 isn't too shabby either...?