What chainsaw should i buy ???????

sylvie111

Training does not cost over 1k for a bsaic ticket showing you all the safety features of the saw, how to PROPERLY maintain and use the saw to the most efficient and safety conscious level. It will last 2 days and will cost ABOUT £200, and has been said will save MUCH more than that in servicing costs. At the end of 2 days you wil also have a certificate showing that you have been trained in the safe use of a saw. It doesnt show how to fell a tree, but that isnt relevant in this situation.

You say you havent had any training yourself, but have been using saws for around 10 years. If you use them in any context for work you are LEGALLY REQUIRED to have undertaken AT LEAST the basic Lantra course.:001_smile:

Sorry bud but you need to get real.

a) CS30 down here is £492 at Sparsholt then add CS31 on top.

b) There is NO legal requirement to have either. Contract wise the 'employer' may require it or more importantly the insurer will require it to provide indemnity.

And read my post. I stated I do not use it for work and neither is the OP :001_rolleyes:

Paul

Edited by Marlin.45

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

b) There is NO legal requirement to have either. Contract wise the 'employer' may require it or more importantly the insurer will require it to provide indemnity.

And read my post. I stated I do not use it for work and neither is the OP :001_rolleyes:

Paul

I am not your bud, and i am real enough already thank you.

Crooss cut and maintainence is 180 down here through Kernow Training group, and (i have just rung the training provider) you are required to be trained to at least this standard to use a chainsaw at your place of work in this country.

I did read your post, and if you read mine properly i stated 'if you use them proffessionally'. You dont, as you point out, so this doesnt apply to you.....

'Bud':001_smile:

Looks like this area is being ripped off for training then? ;)

you are required to be trained to at least this standard to use a chainsaw at your place of work in this country.

What is 'this std'? If it is CS30 then no you don't but if it is a form of 'training' to cover your employer to show they have carried out their 'duty of care' requirements then far do's. Which is where David's comment comes in?

Sorry about the 'bud' comment if it causes you soo much offence but after living in the US for a chuck of my life it influences my way of talking and writing.

Edited by Marlin.45

Paul[/quote

Well your gettin ripped off then, cs30 is about £250 in leeds the last time i looked, why does he need cs31 if he is only cutting up fire wood, cs30 coveres maintanance and cross cutting. Insurers require you have tickets for working commercially but what about the HSE? The insurers dont give a toss because its on your word but if some one got hurt, a 3rd party for instance HSE would ask for your relevent tickets and shaft you if you didnt have them. quite simple really, you you need tickets if working professionally to stay on the right side of H+S law AS Tommer said bud!

Or do the Lantra 1 day course, get real, its no where near 1k to get some basic training.

Edited by Ian C

Yes we are being ripped off down here.

Sparsholt prices-

CS30 - Sparsholt College Hampshire - Maintain and Operate the Chainsaw - NPTC CS-30

CS31 - Sparsholt College Hampshire - Fell Small Trees - NPTC CS31

The OP did not come back from what was termed 'cutting up firewood' so the CS31 ref. relates to coppicing clearing/pruning which many people do do to suppliment their fuel supply.

Re. the HSE it is again a work or employment issue not personal use. The jist of any HSE docs I have read state that if you are employed doing tree work then 'adequate training' should have been provided by the employer or carried out by the employee. But that is by the by. The original poster mentioned it was (or I believe) it was for home use?

http://www.gardening-tools-direct.co.uk/content/hsechainsaws.pdf

Cheers,

Paul

Yes we are being ripped off down here.

Sparsholt prices-

CS30 - Sparsholt College Hampshire - Maintain and Operate the Chainsaw - NPTC CS-30

CS31 - Sparsholt College Hampshire - Fell Small Trees - NPTC CS31

The OP did not come back from what was termed 'cutting up firewood' so the CS31 ref. relates to coppicing clearing/pruning which many people do do to suppliment their fuel supply.

Re. the HSE it is again a work or employment issue not personal use. The jist of any HSE docs I have read state that if you are employed doing tree work then 'adequate training' should have been provided by the employer or carried out by the employee. But that is by the by. The original poster mentioned it was (or I believe) it was for home use?

http://www.gardening-tools-direct.co.uk/content/hsechainsaws.pdf

Cheers,

Paul

Agree, the post was for home use and No training is needed, think it was to help him be safe thats all.

Paul- no worries on the Bud thing...

The course that Ian and myself refer to is a Lantra course, with no NPTC assessment, and that is why it is so cheap. To do the same sourse with an NPTC test tacked on the end would incur at least another £90 down here, so your prices from Sparsholt are not necessarily that much adrift.

Before we get bogged down into a row on a forum, which i have no desire to do, I think the point being made is how useful and highly recommended a 2 day Lantra course would be, aside from any Legal or otherwise requirements. For example, if one is in the position where one takes a saw to a shop to be sharpened, the bill could run into 3 figures by the time the chain is worn out, as IME most shops seem to want 15-20 quid per sharpen, and there are more than 5 sharpens to a chain. This alone would recoup the cost of the course, aside from any maintainance costs at a dealer. That is the sort of thing i was referring to by mentioning any 'standard':001_smile:

Totally agree Tommer and to be honest if a course was offered to me 10-12 years ago it would have saved me a bunch. The majority in not buying rubbish 'store saws' ;) At the time it didn't appear that much was within my limited budget back then so I went with the local tree guy for some hands on experience (then dumped the McCullough and bought a Husky!).

Last week my BiL was given a 445 for Christmas with zero experience (pre-felled wood for the burner) and I was shocked how little he knew ('So where does the chain oil go and why do I need it?'). I ran through the basics with him but did 'suggest' he looked at a simple course. They are in Shebbear, Devon so I have passed on the LANTRA group you recommended.

On chain sharpening I still struggle to get that 100% on a semi-C after all these years LOL.

Cheers,

Paul

well back to the original, question, i am not for or against any type of brand, allthough i do suggest on getting a stihl or husky. i just picked up a husqvarna 440e, you might want to check out this saw. it is very light, and power seems pretty good, i put an 18" bar on it, but i think i would recommend a 16". i have only used it a couple of times totalling about 1 1/2 hrs of use, and it seems like this saw will be good for getting firewood and stuff like that. i have a stihl MS290 for big jobs. anyways, hope this helps.