Covid-19

Ratman

8 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Do you not think there is a conflict of interest when the very people who are advising and have a great deal of leverage when it comes to the measures we're having to live under are set to make a substantial amount of money from what they recommend? 

I don't think openly questioning this is within the realms of crazed conspiracy theories. 

I know I keep banging this drum but here in Norway we're not living under the same harsh measures and the infection and death raters are lower than the UK. How could this possibly be? The Norwegian Government has just announced that Winter Holidays are still on as long as they are taken within the country. That's trips to your cabin and also the very busy ski center's and of course masks are still not enforced unless on public transport. So when these people take their holiday to another part of Norway and take a flight they have to wear a mask for the hour or so they're on the flight. And I fully get that. But Norway is not grinding their country to their knee's. People still have a lot of freedom and on the most part businesses can continue to function. And again the infection rates are lower than the UK. 

So forgive me when I question SAGE and the measures that they are pushing the UK Government to implement and also question the apparent conflict of interest that may or may not be there. But I do believe that it should be questioned and not scoffed.  

So what vested interests do they have and what decisions are they pushing through?

If I go to the docs I trust his advice, I don't start to question which brand of drugs he is recommending. If I used duck duck go to search my ailments I'm sure I could find plenty of differing options and eventually find something damming my doctors practice and find something I like.

Sometimes we need to just trust other people that know better than we do, if the vast majority of experts agree then so much the better.

There was no opportunity to weigh up the pros and cons due to the absolute hysteria from the very start of this and the demands for action from politicians whom seemed hell bent on trying to outdo each other in the severity of restrictions scale. The comments ref who’s locked up now ie you aren’t etc is totally ignoring all the evidence that is starting to appear finally ref the damage this is causing. 

So johnsond, there was “no opportunity “, why not? Are you of the thinking that there was?
You also say that the “evidence” is starting to appear now! Can you act on this evidence before now?

Just now, Mesterh said:

So what vested interests do they have and what decisions are they pushing through?

If I go to the docs I trust his advice, I don't start to question which brand of drugs he is recommending. If I used duck duck go to search my ailments I'm sure I could find plenty of differing options and eventually find something damming my doctors practice and find something I like.

Sometimes we need to just trust other people that know better than we do, if the vast majority of experts agree then so much the better.

WWW.BMJ.COM

Little is known about the interests of the doctors, scientists, and academics on whose advice the UK government relies to...

I really dont know why I continue to spood feed you knowing full well you're gonna cook up some half arsed apologist response. 

But the link is from the British Medical Journal so hopefully you'll actually take the time to read through it and digest it instead of automatically poo-pooing it simply because of who posted it. 

Safety in numbers don’t be such a tit  [emoji23], Not at all but when the wind is blowing that way you certainly seem to like trying to group me and Andy together 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
The explanations of alternative directions have been given time and time again by many on here not just your two favourites [emoji8]
Obviously there are plenty of others that share your viewpoints. I'm not intentionally focusing on you pair. It's just very hard not to when you're by far the most prominent in terms of volume of posts and belligerence of tone within them. Other people espousing similar opinions do so in a much more reasonable manner.
Besides you've said a few times now that you welcome "robust" debates. One could almost be mistaken for thinking that you actually enjoy them, your partner in crime in particular! If ever there is an argument ensuing on here Mr Trigger is normally to be found at the centre of it. Regardless of the subject.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

My 17 year old is at a very critical point in her education and her acceptance into Medical School to train as a Doctor hinges on her grades this year.

It is really hard for teenagers doing their exams last year and this year, but teacher assessment is likely to play a massive part, so if someone is really capable of getting into medical school and would be expected to get those grades they could well be in s better position than in a normal year where everything hinges on the final exams and if they don't get the grades... tough luck. These years there may well be a bit more leniency in the system. 

Without dismissing the serious effects of the current situation on your daughter and other people in similar situations, the next 7+ years of medical training would be bloody tough too if the stories about being a trainee doctor and junior doctor are true! 

25 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Obviously there are plenty of others that share your viewpoints. I'm not intentionally focusing on you pair. It's just very hard not to when you're by far the most prominent in terms of volume of posts and belligerence of tone within them. Other people espousing similar opinions do so in a much more reasonable manner.
Besides you've said a few times now that you welcome "robust" debates. One could almost be mistaken for thinking that you actually enjoy them, your partner in crime in particular! If ever there is an argument ensuing on here Mr Trigger is normally to be found at the centre of it. Regardless of the subject.

OK