Wood Burning Stove for under £1500

1 hour ago, Big J said:

The stove is almost exclusively loved by men and exclusively loathed by women. It's an engineering masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned, but I agree that it can be contentious with the women folk.

I like it. Not sure if it fits in with a Scottish Farm House though? Reminds me of a V8 Dragster Engine with Shortie Exhaust Extractors. :D 

Would look cool in a Cabin or a Man Cave. 

• Like 3

There was a company at the Confor show last year selling interesting wood burners, can’t remember the name.

They where constructed from silicon carbide or something similar, you can have them cast in a range of colours. The material heats up and stores the energy for hours/over night and releases it evenly so you don’t develop a hot spot in the room, the guy reckoned you could reduce your wood fuel usage by two thirds.

edit, name just came to me, ecostove.

Edited by The avantgardener
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

You only need twin wall fully insulated flue outside of a brick cavity,  so if its in a chimney then use flexi liner.

For 1500 quid you cant get a can a really nice stove,  Charnwood Aire, Morso Badger but these are not usually boiler compatible,  but you wont go far wrong with my original Ecoburn widescreen recommendation,   pretty sure this offers an optional clip in boiler ( to replace the rear firebrick) but it may not be possible to do that with the new 2022 compliant Ecoburn series 3 due to be launched in May or June.  ( I do have one in the showroom and as it has a terciery air system I am 99% sure that wont be compatible with a boiler). 

Another thought is that Charnwood now have flue pipe boilers,  these connect to the flue flange of some Charnwoods only and use heat that would otherwise be lost from the flue pipe above the stove.   One pipe in, one out they offer the Domestic Hot water option on stoves that being 2022 compliant are not compatible with internal boilers.  As these boilers bolt in using the unique flue flange holes in the stove they are not compatible with other stove brands.       My thought is a Charnwood C5 BLU + log store + Flue pipe boiler would be close to 1500, I would need to confirm that when sitting at my desk though.

With flue systems their is a wide range of products in the market,  many are of poor quality,  cowls that are mild steel not stainless steel,  we wont fit anything we have not supplied.   I would suggest you let whoever is installing it supply the flue parts as he is having to certify it as safe to use.  
Charnwood-Flue-Boiler-plumbing.jpg WWW.CHARNWOOD.COM
The Charnwood ash-carrier is a simple yet invaluable addition to your Charnwood stove. It offers a clean, safe and effective means of ash disposal.  

I’m quite sure I’ll be getting a 8-12kw Stove.

That’s a very interesting design for the Hot Water. Like that a lot! But for hot water I’ll be running the Esse Ironheart in the kitchen. So the living room Stove will/might run the Radiators.

I've got the hunter herald 14 multi fuel wilh a back boiler
Never used anything other than wood but always nice to have the option. Would not like to fit the herald 14 without a back boiler as its 14kw a lot of heat for a small room. Even with the back boiler (4kw to room 10kw to boiler) it heats the living room 4.5m x 3.5m with no problem. The only issue I have is the glass does not stay clean as the boiler steals all the heat

• Like 1

I've got the hunter herald 14 multi fuel wilh a back boiler
Never used anything other than wood but always nice to have the option. Would not like to fit the herald 14 without a back boiler as its 14kw a lot of heat for a small room. Even with the back boiler (4kw to room 10kw to boiler) it heats the living room 4.5m x 3.5m with no problem. The only issue I have is the glass does not stay clean as the boiler steals all the heat

Yes, 14kw to one room would be a tad much. ? Hunter have the 14 rated at just under 12kw. 14kw is the very max it burns at, from what I can see?

Yes, 14kw to one room would be a tad much. ? Hunter have the 14 rated at just under 12kw. 14kw is the very max it burns at, from what I can see?
Even 12kw is a lot for a smallish room unless you live in an old house! Leave the door open and the drafts in the house will soon circulate the excess heat [emoji1]

Even 12kw is a lot for a smallish room unless you live in an old house! Leave the door open and the drafts in the house will soon circulate the excess heat [emoji1]

Yip, house built in 1880. Room is 4.3x5.5m not huge, but not small either. With the door open the heat disappears in seconds. ? Right up the stairs and out the windows and in-insulated roof.

You need to spend £500 insulating the roof and £1000 on the stove instead.

Roof insulation at 100mm is so cheap and effective it predates all the current CO2 fashion.

Yes, it’s on the ‘to-do’ list. Need to buy the place first though. [emoji16]A boundary issue is holding us up since last June. Should be sorted in weeks though.