current timber prices

Forest2Furniture

4 hours ago, farmerjohn said:

Not seen the oak yet going at weekend

This is the cherry..

received_1002739613850800.jpeg

Could be a nice Cherry log, but not forest grown so who knows what it may contain...  I would value that log at £4 to £5 per hoppus foot.

Last batch of Oak I had was a mixed bag, all forest grown and lots of good stuff but also a few below average stems.  I paid £130 per ton delivered to my yard (£4.64 per hoppus foot).  Once you pay £200+ per ton (£7 per hoppus foot) you must demand a really high quality of log in my opinion.

Also take care when buying from tree surgeons....they don't know how to measure logs....!  Always measure them yourself before agreeing price - or get it delivered on a timber lorry and use the weight ticket.

Elm could be anywhere from £5 to £8 per hoppus foot.  Traditionally Elm is low value, and most mills won't want it but it might attract a few small scale millers who know how beautiful the timber is.

5 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Nice Cherry butt I have a nice size Cherry to mill as soon as we get a nice day hopefully monday will be ok got to mill it with the Alaskan should be fun havent used it in a while will do the 880 good 

Any idea what that cherrry butt in ohoto is worth

Could be a nice Cherry log, but not forest grown so who knows what it may contain...  I would value that log at £4 to £5 per hoppus foot.

Last batch of Oak I had was a mixed bag, all forest grown and lots of good stuff but also a few below average stems.  I paid £130 per ton delivered to my yard (£4.64 per hoppus foot).  Once you pay £200+ per ton (£7 per hoppus foot) you must demand a really high quality of log in my opinion.

Also take care when buying from tree surgeons....they don't know how to measure logs....!  Always measure them yourself before agreeing price - or get it delivered on a timber lorry and use the weight ticket.

Elm could be anywhere from £5 to £8 per hoppus foot.  Traditionally Elm is low value, and most mills won't want it but it might attract a few small scale millers who know how beautiful the timber is.
That's the difference in getting a lorry load delivered sold unseen and going and finding a decent 4ft diameter oak.
I can't buy decent big oak trees for less than £10 at the minute.

Hi All,
It has been nearly 2 years since i ahve had chance to do any milling but am getting back into it and am looking at trying to source some hardwood logs, mainy log locally this weekend,
What is a fair price for good oak milling log around 600-800mm in diameter
and for the odd 1200 /1300 diameter log. 
(costs in hoppus feet ideally)
also what sort of money per hoppus foot / lump sum for a cherry log, 2ft 8" wide, no rot at all, straight and around 18ft long.
thanks in advance,
Ps any guide on costs for ash, and odd special sticks like  a big rare elm etc would be appreciated
Regards, John

There’s two prices for these logs.
Forest price and garden price.
One is a product specifically grown for harvesting and timber production.
The other one will be full of nails and is a waste product.
I pay market prices for forest logs.
I get paid to remove logs from gardens.
It doesn’t matter how big and rare your log is if you find a cast iron Victorian tree guard in it.
[emoji106]
  • Like 2