Autogas/Lpg, a viable alternative?

Andy Collins

The reasoning behind my questions is that my cousin is starting out in Scotland a Lpg fitting service, and following our discussion on this (where I stated that it didnt seem too popular down here) I thought I'd see what you guys thought, running big 4x4s.

andy wheres your cousin setting up? there used to be a place at dalry (ayrshire) that did it but i think something like the time the petrol price dropped they became really quite and the guy ended up moving abroad.

do you think your cousin would know how to convert a 17hp scag mower to lpg. id wondered if they'd be any savings :001_smile:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had a couple of LPG cars - a 2ltr Legacy and a 3.9 Disco. Both cars we bought with the kits already and cost wise they were little more than equivalent cars without it fitted.

The legacy drove very similar on both gas and petrol but the disco is a definite jekyl and Hyde - on gas it's a similar to a TDI in performance (though still has a better top end) but on petrol it's still an animal. I tend to drive on gas most of the time then just flick over for overtaking/long uphills.

Seem to be able to get gas most places ok, but prices vary from about 49p/l to 65p/l so you have good days and bad.

Storage is a pain in the ass, the disco has two underslung tanks so at tleast the boot is still empty but I can only get 45 litres in the tanks so between 130-180 miles at a time :thumbdown:

Nope-get it done Andy, did my S2 Landy few years ago-runs equivalent of 40mpg -beat that deisel discoveries ! No running problems and fitted it myself. The BIG MISTAKE is setting them to run too weak on gas, thats where yr engine probs come from. Ignore the CO meter an road test them ( reset in winter fr colder/denser air)

Kx

andy wheres your cousin setting up? there used to be a place at dalry (ayrshire) that did it but i think something like the time the petrol price dropped they became really quite and the guy ended up moving abroad.

do you think your cousin would know how to convert a 17hp scag mower to lpg. id wondered if they'd be any savings :001_smile:

Angus Autogas Conversions Ltd. - Run on LPG - Slash your fuel bills by 40%! should help you find him:001_smile:

I have a '97 4.0 Cherokee that I had converted to sequential injection LPG around 5 years ago at a costs of £2k (underslung toroidal combi tank). Initially I had a lot of problems but McLaren the system importers eventually sorted it out, and it goes great now. Financially it costs me less to run the 200bhp lump than SWMBO's diesel Terrano.

Would I do it again? No! It is now reliable and gets me anywhere I need to go but fuel availability has to be looked for every trip if I don't know the area. If I have any problems with the system it is a PITA to find anyone that can work on it unless I want to drive 35 miles and leave it for a few days then get fleeced. Luckily that rarely happens :001_tongue:

Next truck will be diesel and suitable for veg. Oh, hang on I have one already and another under construction :lol:

Edited by Marlin.45

I brought my 3.9 Disco 6 months ago because it had LPG already fitted. Still dual fuel and you can't notice the difference. Only issue i have is the big tank in the boot which when i rebuild the disco in to a 110 it will be replacing the normal fuel tank and have a smaller petrol tank.

I don't think i would pay to have it done on a vehicle i only use 2 - 3 times a week.

80 litre tank costs £43 to fill and will do 250 miles sensible driving, 180-210 miles foot planted to floor.

As for filling places i know of 3 i use in the Guildford area.

Morrissons supermarket seems to be the best place up here for LPG, theres 3 within 5 mile of my house and they all have it, Not sure if its the same country wide but might be worth a look if you have it.

A guy ive worked with in the past had a v8 defender that was LPG and he really liked it, said you couldnt tell the difference, Ive never drove an LPG vehicle myself tho

Morrissons do LPG down here as well. Although not advertised that well. I drove to Wales and ran out of Gas on way home as couldn't find a service station with it. I searched when i got home and there a Morrissons in the village i left in Wales and they had Gas. :banghead:

I know you can download Autogas for Tom Tom which shows you which service stations have autogas, mainly Shell and BP.