MS500i daily use

spuddog0507

Hi all just wondering if any one on here uses a stihl ms500i on a fully blown commercial forestry basis Not ringing a tree up in some ones back garden for an hour with one, would like feed from some one who uses one for 7-8 hrs a day, reason i ask is i had an hour on one the other day and all i can say is what fantastic saw, picked it up and it instantly felt lighter than the 461 i use every day and then when i cut some rings off a length of sycamore with the 500i it seemed very imperssive, cut well and just seemed to get on with the job a lot faster than most saws i have used, so thinking of replacing a couple of 461s and it more than likely would of been the new 462 but since using the 500i it now comes in as a serious contender, so if any one out there is using one daily is it doing for you what it says on the tin ? has it been ok for a month or 2 and not been any trouble as i know its relativly new tech and generally there is some problems to iron out,? , thanks in advance for replies,

20190117_150544.jpg

• Like 2

Been using one for nearly four months along side my other saws and it's a good saw, a very good saw but not a great saw ! It picks up fast and with it's 80cc you need to pay attention to what the nose is doing and I've changed how I limb a little bit just to keep control ! I should mention here I have some fairly serious ported saws so no stranger to something fast with a bit of guts. The air filter is very good but the arrangement is like a Dyson hoover as it sucks up all it can get around the filter which means be careful when you knock it clean or you will allow debris in around the intake. It's a very poor oiler until you knock in the restrictor pin in on the oil pump then it's good. I found the RS chain it comes with just a pain to get cutting right, when it's cutting well it's to rough to back bar and bore with so found the Oregon LPX far better and allows full use of the speed and power. I put a few videos up on "outinthewood" on youtube for what my thoughts are worth !! This saw is now off to the US to be fettled as I'm looking to get more midrange which it is lacking at the moment.It's a saw that likes to run flat out which isn't always the best ...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, outinthewood said:

Been using one for nearly four months along side my other saws and it's a good saw, a very good saw but not a great saw ! It picks up fast and with it's 80cc you need to pay attention to what the nose is doing and I've changed how I limb a little bit just to keep control ! I should mention here I have some fairly serious ported saws so no stranger to something fast with a bit of guts. The air filter is very good but the arrangement is like a Dyson hoover as it sucks up all it can get around the filter which means be careful when you knock it clean or you will allow debris in around the intake. It's a very poor oiler until you knock in the restrictor pin in on the oil pump then it's good. I found the RS chain it comes with just a pain to get cutting right, when it's cutting well it's to rough to back bar and bore with so found the Oregon LPX far better and allows full use of the speed and power. I put a few videos up on "outinthewood" on youtube for what my thoughts are worth !! This saw is now off to the US to be fettled as I'm looking to get more midrange which it is lacking at the moment.It's a saw that likes to run flat out which isn't always the best ...

thanks for that and yes i did notice a bit of kickback and chain chatter when boring in to a log the other day, and the pick up is very imperssive, and the weight and power makes it one to really consider, i all ways thought 460s and 461s where very good saws but this 500i is something else as i see it, 

• Like 1

For day to day use I would have a good run out on the 462 first and see what you think. I was massively impressed with the performance and handling of the 462 even though I run Husqvarna, the performance difference between the two Stihls is minimal in real terms but the price isn’t. Build quality on both saws I thought was dubious in the long term compared with the 460/461 that are workhorses, but the new Husqvarna are similar compared with previous models.

Edited by The avantgardener
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

For day to day use I would have a good run out on the 462 first and see what you think. I was massively impressed with the performance and handling of the 462 even though I run Husqvarna, the performance difference between the two Stihls is minimal in real terms but the price isn’t. Build quality on both saws I thought was dubious in the long term compared with the 460/461 that are workhorses, but the new Husqvarna are similar compared with previous models.

Had a bit of a do with a 462 about 6 months ago and i thought it felt pretty good and as you say not a lot of difference till you get to the price tag, both the 462 and 500i feel well balanced and both have good pick up and produce a noticable bit more power than a 460/461 but as you say the older saws are workhorses and all the 460s and 461s i have had have given very little trouble if any only thing i can remember is putting a new oil pump in a 460,

I know a lad who’s been using his 500i since day one on outsider Sitka since its been out and he rates it, I’ve only used mine for Arb work at the moment but got it from his review as I know he hammers his saws , I do like the 462 though.

• Like 2

Only spent a day with the 500i, felling spruce and larch. It's a decent saw, picks up power really well but it struggled to maintain that, even in those relatively soft woods. Doing similar work with my 572, the husky cuts better. It also just feels more solid. 

I'm an adult, i think both Stihl and Husky do some cracking saws. My 661 is flawless, as are my top handles. But the 572 out performs the 500i, in my experience.

Edited by Mr. Squirrel
Typos...