Tennis elbow

cerneARB

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked through it, you naturally take it easy otherwise it causes pain

Thats what I find, the pills take the edge off and severe pain stops you doing any real damage.

I don't manage to get through as much work, but it stops me seizing up and keeps some money coming in.

Tennis elbow is caused by gripping too tightly.

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs...

Maybe change how you climb,

spread the work around your colleagues a bit more,

learn how to sharpen really well!

No point gripping on and forcing a dull saw, nor hanging on heroically to a saw with the rakers removed!

All gonna set the elbow off.

Mine used to flare up from driving an overloaded Bedford chip truck with no power steering.

Most of the advice has already been given, I can thoroughly recommend the use of a neoprene support. A word on cortisone injections. My missus did a physio course, and I've had the same advice from the Doc - only have a maximum of 3 over any one period. Cortisone just masks the pain and enables you to continue in the short term, which is why its use is so popular with sports people to enable them to finish a match. Long term, you are still doing damage to the affected part of your body.

You have my sympathies, I had it a few years back and 'tis a bugger. Hope yer well soon, and Happy New Year!:thumbup1:

not a fan of pain killers either, pain is there to tell you something isnt right, i was like you tommer, to busy thinking about the money. I was like that for my heartburn. You end up worse off than if you addressed the problem properly. You may have to make a hard choice career wise, but thats life mate. get well soon

Hi,

Forget all the above mate, I'm a brickie by trade and have suffered over the years with tennis elbow. It all came to a head last year and I was really struggling to pick up a trowel of pug. Went to my GP who is also a sports injury therapist and he told me to do the following and Ive had a whole year (nearly) pain free.

Ok, stick 2 cans of beans in a carrier bag,

hold the bag in the affected outstretched hand and support your elbow with the other hand.

Raise your hand at the wrist joint and SLOWLY lower your hand.

The lowering is the excercise not the lifting.

Do this 15 times and then stretch it off (see below)

Do all the above 3 times a day. Dont rush the excercising.

To stretch it off do the following for a right elbow stretch,

Arms out stretched

place your right hand over your left,

interlink your fingers with palms together

push your right wrist away with your left hand for about 20 seconds.

Also stick some ice on the affected elbow too.

Whats happened is that your tendons have all knotted up and they simply need stretching back to where they should be, simples!

Hope this all helps, it works a treat for me.

Jellystock.