How much wood have you used/will you use?

neiln

3 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

It’s alright in a living room- but can’t stand a hot bedroom.

The Swedes love a hot house and when I’m over there i don’t get a wink of decent sleep.

I agree. 23 for the living room, 17 for the bedroom. That's my ideal :D

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Big J said:

It's a cold house and the stove isn't great. I had a similar sized stove from the Champion Stove Company at our old house in Scotland and it was more efficient. 

Sounds like it's not working right J. The Woodwarm's are about as good as they get IME. My folks had a 12kw one which was beast of a thing and chucked out the heat.

1 minute ago, Woodworks said:

Sounds like it's not working right J. The Woodwarm's are about as good as they get IME. My folks had a 12kw one which was beast of a thing and chucked out the heat.

It's working perfectly. I have a stove thermometer, and with it being a double sided stove, an electric fan on the far side of it pushing the warm air towards the living room and up the stairs. The ash going in averages 22%, which given the 3 months of continuous rain, is pretty good going. 

I've put about 350 cubic metres through my stoves in the past 11 years, have sold firewood commercially, dried timber commercially and have written articles on drying timber in kilns. I know what I'm doing with regards to wood and fire. It's just a cold house and I like a warm room temperature.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

It's working perfectly. I have a stove thermometer, and with it being a double sided stove, an electric fan on the far side of it pushing the warm air towards the living room and up the stairs. The ash going in averages 22%, which given the 3 months of continuous rain, is pretty good going. 

I've put about 350 cubic metres through my stoves in the past 11 years, have sold firewood commercially, dried timber commercially and have written articles on drying timber in kilns. I know what I'm doing with regards to wood and fire. It's just a cold house and I like a warm room temperature.

I just find it hard to believe a steel box from Champion stoves can perform better or are they more sophisticated than they look?

10 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I just find it hard to believe a steel box from Champion stoves can perform better or are they more sophisticated than they look?

I don't know why it is either. Perhaps the Jotul design has persisted for such a long time for a good reason. 

There are a number of design flaws on the Woodwarm. The central baffle plate hangs too low, restricting log capacity. The upper vent (which is on the side) is badly designed too, as when lighting the fire (ie, before the chimney is up to temperature) having the door open and the side vent open means the smoke pours out the vent. I never operate a stove with the door open, but the necessity is there from time to time when loading the fire.

The Bullerjan we had years ago was the best, but it wouldn't fit into this space.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Big J said:

I don't know why it is either. Perhaps the Jotul design has persisted for such a long time for a good reason. 

There are a number of design flaws on the Woodwarm. The central baffle plate hangs too low, restricting log capacity. The upper vent (which is on the side) is badly designed too, as when lighting the fire (ie, before the chimney is up to temperature) having the door open and the side vent open means the smoke pours out the vent. I never operate a stove with the door open, but the necessity is there from time to time when loading the fire.

The Bullerjan we had years ago was the best, but it wouldn't fit into this space.

I wonder if both problems are related to it being double sided? The single sided ones I have used dont suffer any problems with low baffle plates but needing to open both sides might require an unusual design solution. Also the regular models have insulation on the back which would aid it warming itself and the flue to get it drawing quickly. Shame you are having problems. Might be worth giving them a call?

3 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I wonder if both problems are related to it being double sided? The single sided ones I have used dont suffer any problems with low baffle plates but needing to open both sides might require an unusual design solution. Also the regular models have insulation on the back which would aid it warming itself and the flue to get it drawing quickly. Shame you are having problems. Might be worth giving them a call?

I don't think that the extra pane of glass helps, but I don't think that there is an issue with the stove more generally. The timber going in is dry, the flue gasses are of the right temperature and the air flow is whittled down to near enough zero once the fire is hot enough to maintain exhaust temperature. 

I'll blow my own trumpet on this one, but I'm really good at tending to a stove. Over a decade of completely heating my house with one. The house we're in is of a construction that is best described as "benefitting from being demolished and completely rebuilt". This is the main issue. We cook in summer when it's warm too.