How much wood have you used/will you use?

neiln

Crystal ball gazing I know.  I'm here in south London, and last year was the first I heated with wood virtually entirely.   I burnt my way through, I estimate, almost 8m3 of mixed hard/soft wood (probably 60% hard wood) in 2 small stoves.  It was however a very very mild winter.  I think we only had about half a dozen frosts all winter.  So far this autumn and winter has been (exceedingly wet! and) colder, probably just normally cold but we've had more frosts than in all of last year.  When grabbing wood off the pile earlier I looked at what I'd used and I'd estimate its 3.3m3 so far, in about 3 months.  I reckon I'll use 10m3 at this rate, which is fine, I've got that and more seasoned.  How are the rest of you getting on so far?

Old, but fairly small (95 square metre) farmhouse in Devon. 11 stacked cube (so about 15 loose) so far this winter. Almost all ash, with a spot of cherry and larch.  20kw Woodwarm stove. 

I'm very proficient at economical stove operation, but I like a warm house and this is not a warm house. We've not had the heating on at all yet. I expect we'll get through over 30 loose cube this winter. 

Interestingly, I'm only getting through the ash a fraction slower than the larch/spruce mix from last year. It was colder last year too.

19 minutes ago, neiln said:

'kin HELL!  11 cube already!  Holy moly mother of !

11 stacked. About 15 loose :D 

I have a big double wheel barrow. I get through 3-4 a week (which is about 30-40 logs per barrow - big logs) which is 3-4 cube a month. The fire has been on extensively since the start of September as it's been cold and wet.

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

11 stacked. About 15 loose :D 

I have a big double wheel barrow. I get through 3-4 a week (which is about 30-40 logs per barrow - big logs) which is 3-4 cube a month. The fire has been on extensively since the start of September as it's been cold and wet.

That’s some going J! I put ours (only 5kw) on sometime around beginning of October. I reckon 2x loose cube would do us 3 months with it on every evening. Generally a ‘bag for life’ full from the shed does us an evenings burn

Just now, Matthew Storrs said:

That’s some going J! I put ours (only 5kw) on sometime around beginning of October. I reckon 2x loose cube would do us 3 months with it on every evening. Generally a ‘bag for life’ full from the shed does us an evenings burn

It's a cold house and the stove isn't great. I had a similar sized stove from the Champion Stove Company at our old house in Scotland and it was more efficient. 

The stove is on pretty much 24/7, as we're not using the heating. About 17c in the morning in the living room, and 23-24c by the time we go to bed. It's not excessive :)

13 minutes ago, Big J said:

It's a cold house and the stove isn't great. I had a similar sized stove from the Champion Stove Company at our old house in Scotland and it was more efficient. 

The stove is on pretty much 24/7, as we're not using the heating. About 17c in the morning in the living room, and 23-24c by the time we go to bed. It's not excessive :)

Urgh too warm for me! I get in a right sweat if the mercury goes north of 16c!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1