Opico Skidster or sherpa mini loaders

swinny

On 03/11/2022 at 21:58, william127 said:

@doobin  re reading all this as I'm very close to finally buying one of these instead of just talking about it!😅

I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind? 

The grab pictured above- when it's on the digger, is it under a rotator and that's where you've unbolted it to fit on the Sherpa? Have you actually used it on the sherpa, I know you prefer a grapple bucket? 

What attachments, bought, home made or adapted,  do you have for it now, having had it a while? 

I'm planning on ordering the grapple bucket, high volume 76 cm bucket and pallet forks. Did you actually buy the sherpa pallet forks, seem to remember reading you might adapt your multi-one forks?  Is the high volume bucket OK for  sand/type 1/soil  or is that too much for the machine?  

What wheel/tyre sets have you got/use?

Sorry for all the questions😅😅  hope you're still getting lots of use out of it👍👍

Cheers

Sorry mate, totally missed this!

That grab I use sometimes under a rotator, sometimes direct mount to digger, sometimes on the Sherpa. Whatever the job calls for. To be honest I've only used it once on the sherpa. I've since bought an even lighter Intermecatto which is perfect for use on the Sherpa or E10 for handling timber.

I use the grapple bucket a fair bit, it's much better for garden jobs. I can't see the attraction on dragging long lengths with a sherpa, just take a micro chipper in and chip into the bucket.

The high volume bucket holds the same as the normal 118cm bucket, just within a 76cm width. Handy when using the narrow wheels for access and also sometimes on normal wheels but with tight corners (you don't have to worry so much about catching walls with the edge of the bucket). With me at 80kg and and extra 30kg counterweight, it will handle a full bucket of Type 1 but you need to be very careful lifting it to load into a tipper for example. Soil is not too bad as lighter. These loaders are all about quick repetetive cycles, not max lift.

I bought the genuine Sherpa forks, they are well made scaled down pallet forks. Limited uses but still come out occasionally.

Wheels and tyres I have a set of the widest turf wheels on most days. For narrow access the narrow muck truck type are OK but soon make a mess and make it less stable. I've not found the need to make it narrow except for a couple of specific jobs- most of the time it stays on the wide wheels and is still able to get in everywhere and be very useful. I'd certainly order it with wide wheels as well to start with.

• Like 1

I’ve got the Agri model and it looks like those holes are only present on the model up from that? Not sure why… I have seen others using weights on the Agri but with a bracket made to support them. 

Is anyone using a pto splitter on their Sherpa? Or know if it’s possible? Thinking a Oxdale TM400 on that would be perfect as you could adjust the working hight with the lift? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PatrickFirwood said:

I’ve got the Agri model and it looks like those holes are only present on the model up from that? Not sure why… I have seen others using weights on the Agri but with a bracket made to support them. 

Is anyone using a pto splitter on their Sherpa? Or know if it’s possible? Thinking a Oxdale TM400 on that would be perfect as you could adjust the working hight with the lift? 

Not a pto splitter- I think you mean just a hydraulic splitter? Works great, just rest it upon a suitably large log stood vertically in order to obtain the best working height. 

The Sherpa produces around 20l a minute flow, at a pressure greater than a beaver pack. So actually not bad on a log splitter. 

Re the holes- just find yourself a man with a mag drill. Where are you based?

On 17/12/2022 at 12:26, doobin said:

Sorry mate, totally missed this!

That grab I use sometimes under a rotator, sometimes direct mount to digger, sometimes on the Sherpa. Whatever the job calls for. To be honest I've only used it once on the sherpa. I've since bought an even lighter Intermecatto which is perfect for use on the Sherpa or E10 for handling timber.

I use the grapple bucket a fair bit, it's much better for garden jobs. I can't see the attraction on dragging long lengths with a sherpa, just take a micro chipper in and chip into the bucket.

The high volume bucket holds the same as the normal 118cm bucket, just within a 76cm width. Handy when using the narrow wheels for access and also sometimes on normal wheels but with tight corners (you don't have to worry so much about catching walls with the edge of the bucket). With me at 80kg and and extra 30kg counterweight, it will handle a full bucket of Type 1 but you need to be very careful lifting it to load into a tipper for example. Soil is not too bad as lighter. These loaders are all about quick repetetive cycles, not max lift.

I bought the genuine Sherpa forks, they are well made scaled down pallet forks. Limited uses but still come out occasionally.

Wheels and tyres I have a set of the widest turf wheels on most days. For narrow access the narrow muck truck type are OK but soon make a mess and make it less stable. I've not found the need to make it narrow except for a couple of specific jobs- most of the time it stays on the wide wheels and is still able to get in everywhere and be very useful. I'd certainly order it with wide wheels as well to start with.

No problem mate, thanks for replying at all, big chunk of questions😅👍

I'll be looking into the intermecatto grab, seen lots of recommendations for them. Do you know the model number of the one you've just bought?

I've got a hyundai micro chipper that's been gathering dust, partly because it's a pain to move on my own. I'll be bringing it back to life then I'll be doing what you've done with the fork pocket underneath and hopefully getting a bit more use out of it.

The dealer that supplied me my Giant  made me a general purpose bucket for £500 when I bought the machine -the people who traded it in kept their attachments for the new one. It's a very sturdy bucket, really pleased with it for the money.

Pallet forks will be getting bought in January ready for a paving job. 

It's currently on the widest available wheels, I'll get the narrowest ones when I need them.

I'm going to be building a bracket to run my auger on it as I can see that being handy on it.

I'm also thinking of a little log splitter on it,  maybe an oxdale tm400 as the pto version is serving me well. Stick a pair of fork pockets on the bottom, pick the splitter up for a nice mobile, height adjustable splitter that can also move wood👍👍

20221207_150249.jpg

20221215_131224.jpg

20221215_131219.jpg

• Like 1

On 18/12/2022 at 10:48, PatrickFirwood said:

I want to do this, should be a handy set up.

With a hydraulic splitter, not a pto. Probably the oxdale tm400. I have the pto version on the tractor, nice little splitter.

10 hours ago, william127 said:

I want to do this, should be a handy set up.

With a hydraulic splitter, not a pto. Probably the oxdale tm400. I have the pto version on the tractor, nice little splitter.

I wouldn't use fork pockets. Just weld the bracket plate directly to the splitter (or weld on a bolt-on backplate to use between multiple machines as I have).

You want a fairly solid connection when using the machine to hold it sat on a log for height, and depending upon the splitter you will be close to the limit of the lift capacity anyhow. I'll try to find a photo of mine.

The Intermecatto grab in the photos in this thread is a TG12SR5, but it's acumbersome thing on the Sherpa. I've since bought one of their little grabs designed for quad timber trailers. Had to replace the rotator mount point with a welded bolt plate (voiding any warranty as not designed for direct mounting) but it's been fine and you won't get lighter. It's ideal for the Sherpa or Micro for handling large strainers for example.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, william127 said:

No problem mate, thanks for replying at all, big chunk of questions😅👍

I'll be looking into the intermecatto grab, seen lots of recommendations for them. Do you know the model number of the one you've just bought?

I've got a hyundai micro chipper that's been gathering dust, partly because it's a pain to move on my own. I'll be bringing it back to life then I'll be doing what you've done with the fork pocket underneath and hopefully getting a bit more use out of it.

The dealer that supplied me my Giant  made me a general purpose bucket for £500 when I bought the machine -the people who traded it in kept their attachments for the new one. It's a very sturdy bucket, really pleased with it for the money.

Pallet forks will be getting bought in January ready for a paving job. 

It's currently on the widest available wheels, I'll get the narrowest ones when I need them.

I'm going to be building a bracket to run my auger on it as I can see that being handy on it.

I'm also thinking of a little log splitter on it,  maybe an oxdale tm400 as the pto version is serving me well. Stick a pair of fork pockets on the bottom, pick the splitter up for a nice mobile, height adjustable splitter that can also move wood👍👍

20221207_150249.jpg

20221215_131224.jpg

20221215_131219.jpg

Which plant trailer is that? Fits really nicely on there. Also do the Giants have the same headstock as the Worky quads? If they do there’s a second have set of pallet forks on FB marketplace 

1 hour ago, tim361 said:

Which plant trailer is that? Fits really nicely on there. Also do the Giants have the same headstock as the Worky quads? If they do there’s a second have set of pallet forks on FB marketplace 

Ifor gx9x4, very nice trailer to use. 👍

I don't they're the same unfortunately.

12 hours ago, doobin said:

I wouldn't use fork pockets. Just weld the bracket plate directly to the splitter (or weld on a bolt-on backplate to use between multiple machines as I have).

You want a fairly solid connection when using the machine to hold it sat on a log for height, and depending upon the splitter you will be close to the limit of the lift capacity anyhow. I'll try to find a photo of mine.

The Intermecatto grab in the photos in this thread is a TG12SR5, but it's acumbersome thing on the Sherpa. I've since bought one of their little grabs designed for quad timber trailers. Had to replace the rotator mount point with a welded bolt plate (voiding any warranty as not designed for direct mounting) but it's been fine and you won't get lighter. It's ideal for the Sherpa or Micro for handling large strainers for example.

Welded on bolt on bracket sounds ideal as I'll be making one of those for other bits👍

I'll look into that grab, cheers👍

That picture with the sherpa, multi-one and digger is great👍👍