Client has emergency tree insurance

MAPLE LEAF

I have a client with a large amount of trees on there property and they have taken out a insurance for emergency tree work.

when property or life is in danger.

They want me to deal with there management company if I was to be called out if any problems arise.

Is there any advise anyone could give me regarding evidence for there insurance company.

obviously photos of the tree and any damage.

Anything else I should be doing to cover myself.

Thanks in advance.

How often would property or life be in danger? 

I often see over excited tree folk saying emergency tree work, unless it’s a tree about to topple onto a hospital full of people who can’t be moved it’s rarely a emergency. 

In my 15 odd years and countless call outs I’d only every put one of them down as a genuine emergency call out and that was a tree which had split out over numerous houses.

most emergency trees can be downgraded with a bit of barrier tape 

• Like 6

Firstly you have to establish what is and ins't an emergency..... What is the likelihood you will even get a call in the next ten years?

Let be real if they have a need for tree work, will it be classed as an emergency?  Because... Unless it is going to fall on a property, road, or a place where the public is. It can just be roped off and dealt with another time which means it is not an emergence and is classed as maintenance. They are then not covered.

So you will find that only wind blown or uprooted threes that cause an immediate danger to people and property are covered. 

Lets say that the customer has  a windblown tree and it has hit the property then it will be covered.

I would say that you would need to photograph and document the situation and the cause of action needed to prove it was in need of immediate attention to prevent further damage, risk to life or to allow work men to effect repairs.

You need to Estimate/Quote the customer and get them to sign an agreement before you do any work.

In this Estimate/Quote that forms an agreement you need to cover your own back.
with clauses like:
- The customer indemnifies you from an further damaged caused in tackling the problem as trees are unpredictable.
- Your contract is with the customer and not any third party (ie insurance party). This is because if the insurance company doesn't pay you or drags their heals in making payment then it is not your problem and that is the customers problem.

You have to remember some customers may not have the money to pay you and will simply pass the bill on to their insurance company for them to pay you... I would suggest that you increase the cost of the work with a prompt payment discount. This is because insurance companies are notoriously slow at paying out and they want you to work for unreasonably cheap fees as well. So don't let them bully you as they will try it on and try and get you to reduce your bill to their fixed rates.

This is a key reason why you clearly have the customer as your client and not the insurance company. It can also prompt the customer or their insurance company to settle quickly to avoid increased costs.

I would suggest that you also avoid trying to deal with the clients insurance company because it implies that you aknowledge they are the client agent. This can damage your claim against the customer when chasing none payment. So you should always chase the customer for payment and not their insurance company.

• Like 1

Yup, I would sy the same, your cotract is with whoever phones and gives you the work - so they pay you.

I'll add though that with this client you might like say that yuo will help him wth his claim to the insurers for example as an expert to confirm that the tree is dangerous etc. - which is what he might actually need