Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
richyrich

Blocked oil tank breather 338xpt

Recommended Posts

Can blocked oil breather cause oil to stop being pumped? Think its the problem on my saw. Works for while then stops- poss air lock.

Any ideas for how to replace? Thanks

I picked outer piece off...

20191101_142803.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, richyrich said:

Can blocked oil breather cause oil to stop being pumped? Think its the problem on my saw. Works for while then stops- poss air lock.

Any ideas for how to replace? Thanks

I picked outer piece off...

20191101_142803.jpg

Yes . It pulls a vacuum . Lay the saw on its side with the oil cap just cracked open and if it keeps oiling then that is the problem .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Yes . It pulls a vacuum . Lay the saw on its side with the oil cap just cracked open and if it keeps oiling then that is the problem .

I think it will be that so will check over weekend. Thanks. Any idea how to replace if compressor won't clear it?👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There should be a white pourous plug over that duck bill breather, as it's missing it could well be blocked, you can take it out and clean/check it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, adw said:

There should be a white pourous plug over that duck bill breather, as it's missing it could well be blocked, you can take it out and clean/check it.

 

 

The saws been out of action for a couple of years. I took the plug out last time i tried to sort the issue. Can the 'valve' be prised out or pushed from inside..? Thanks. I use veg oil which prob not helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the veg oil has gunked up the oil pump, its likely the worm drive on the sprocket has stripped. Also worth checking this if cleaning the breather doesnt work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get the valve out from the outside, if you are careful you can re use it, i think it prudent to replace it ( 530026119, plug 503981301 ) the oil pump is buried deep inside the machine and requires a full strip down to get to it, you can fish the oil filter on the end of the pipe out through the oil filler hole, so worth a check , veg oil is dreadfull stuff and if left will block everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, billpierce said:

If the veg oil has gunked up the oil pump, its likely the worm drive on the sprocket has stripped. Also worth checking this if cleaning the breather doesnt work

Thanks, i checked the worm drive out after watching a Youtube vid , hoping that would be it, but it was as good as new. Thanks👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.