Oak Bed.

trigger_andy

Hi Andy, yeah just a small off set 2mm just as you drill the hole go through the front and the tendon then just mark the back of the mortise remove the head board clamp an off cut to the back to avoid break out then just eye it over slightly and away to go ,well that’s how I was taught , good luck and do post some pics when done , I quite often will use a contrasting coloured wood for pegs as a bit of a feature ,yew and greenheart work well in my experience, I can send you some greenheart if you want.

Cheers Mark 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi Andy, yeah just a small off set 2mm just as you drill the hole go through the front and the tendon then just mark the back of the mortise remove the head board clamp an off cut to the back to avoid break out then just eye it over slightly and away to go ,well that’s how I was taught , good luck and do post some pics when done , I quite often will use a contrasting coloured wood for pegs as a bit of a feature ,yew and greenheart work well in my experience, I can send you some greenheart if you want.

Cheers Mark 

Ok, I'll follow that then. :) 

A Contrasting coloured wood sounds like a great idea. Greenheart would be great but I have no way of turning it down into Dowels. 

14 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Are you suggesting using it for a year untreated and then add a finish in 12 months time?

I was planning on doing a final sanding then applying. Danish Oil. Would that be a no-no?

Yes andy just leave it for 12 months buddy as it will dry out a hell of a lot more and it needs the air to get at it ,It will spoil the whole thing if you stain/wax it to soon 

1 minute ago, topchippyles said:

Yes andy just leave it for 12 months buddy as it will dry out a hell of a lot more and it needs the air to get at it ,It will spoil the whole thing if you stain/wax it to soon 

Ah damn. :(  I was really hoping to have it 100% Finished. But I guess its best to follow your advice and I appreciate it. :) 

In what way would it ruin it? Would the Oil stop the wood properly drying out and start to rot the wood from the inside out?

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

A Contrasting coloured wood sounds like a great idea. Greenheart would be great but I have no way of turning it down into Dowels. 

Just now, topchippyles said:

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

This method of dowel joints is called draw boring andy 

1) Drill the hole through the post first

2) Insert the tennon joint together and mark the centre of the dowel on the tennon

3) off set that by 2 mm as mentioned by our pals 

4) When inserting the dowel make sure you put a shamfer on the one dowel end so it clears the entry if that makes sense 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Ah damn. :(  I was really hoping to have it 100% Finished. But I guess its best to follow your advice and I appreciate it. :) 

In what way would it ruin it? Would the Oil stop the wood properly drying out and start to rot the wood from the inside out?

It wont rot the wood its just the best way to leave it dry out and it will be like iron when fully dry and then oil and the grain effects will be amazing ?

3 hours ago, topchippyles said:

This method of dowel joints is called draw boring andy 

1) Drill the hole through the post first

2) Insert the tennon joint together and mark the centre of the dowel on the tennon

3) off set that by 2 mm as mentioned by our pals 

4) When inserting the dowel make sure you put a shamfer on the one dowel end so it clears the entry if that makes sense 

OK that sounds like a plan, I'll do that. :) 

3 hours ago, topchippyles said:

It wont rot the wood its just the best way to leave it dry out and it will be like iron when fully dry and then oil and the grain effects will be amazing ?

Hmmm, Im in two minds now. :D On one hand I just want it to be finished and look great in her room as a surprise. Plus she's bound to spill tea and food over it over a 12 month period and would require breaking down again and hauling to the garage for a further sanding then oiling. On the other hand I wanna do it 100% right.

But if oiling in now is not going to have too much of an adverse affect then I think think I'll final sand and Oil now. :D