Oak Bed.

trigger_andy

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Cheers Les. :) 

Yes, I had planned on using Dowels and have already bought a few meters of 1/2" and 3/8" (to see what looks best) But Ratmans dual Dowel idea makes sense and I'll give that a bash. :D All kinda new to me so learning as I go. 

Yesterday I popped over to Norway for a MRI of my lower back and neck, was emailed the pictures within 3 hours and also sent to the Doc. Not bad at all. 

Had a few hours at it this morning. So hopefully will get the Footboard mocked up by the time I have to stop playing. :D 

Looking at your pictures andy really speaking each tennon needs 3 dowels on each joint due to the width of the timber, 1/4 down top/bottom and one centre. Dowel joints are the most traditional way in thousands of years of woodworking so will look great on the eye. Use a cascamite glue on your joints 

Just now, topchippyles said:

Looking at your pictures andy really speaking each tennon needs 3 dowels on each joint due to the width of the timber, 1/4 down top/bottom and one centre. Dowel joints are the most traditional way in thousands of years of woodworking so will look great on the eye. Use a cascamite glue on your joints 

Thanks for the Tip Les, three was the plan. Any and all advice is welcome as Im sure I'll still find a way of screwing it up. :D 

Where would you use the glue? I was hoping to not use glue so it can be broken down again when my daughter moves out. Even the Headboard and Posts is heavier than I can comfortably carry, especially up the stairs. 

If you plan on stripping it apart later just glue the tennons internal,How are you planning on making up the centre to take the mattress ??

Just glue the Tennons as in where my finger is? The idea being it will bash apart later?

I’ve cut these 200x35mm beans for the mistress. Will screw a batton on the inside and I’m not sure what to use for slats yet? The wife says pine as it will have some give.

Think that will work ok? IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4816.jpg

If you are going to strip the headboard apart then do not glue them,I would dowel right through each leg so they can just be tapped out later on (dry fit) Looking where your finger is centre the dowels and come down a 1/3 top and bottom and you will get away using 2 dowel pins on each tennon.

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

If you are going to strip the headboard apart then do not glue them,I would dowel right through each leg so they can just be tapped out later on (dry fit) Looking where your finger is centre the dowels and come down a 1/3 top and bottom and you will get away using 2 dowel pins on each tennon.

Ok, I’ll do that then. :) Two Dowels per side.

Managed to get the Footboard mocked up. Came out ok I think? Just had time to sand the side beams then i had to go mow the lawn then get the dinner on. ?

IMG_4818.jpgIMG_4819.jpgIMG_4817.jpgIMG_4821.jpg
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Ok, I’ll do that then. :) Two Dowels per side.

Managed to get the Footboard mocked up. Came out ok I think? Just had time to sand the side beams then i had to go mow the lawn then get the dinner on. ?

IMG_4818.jpgIMG_4819.jpgIMG_4817.jpgIMG_4821.jpg

looking good Andy !

• Thanks 1

Thats going to last a life time. How are you going to stop the bark from peeling off?

I hope so. :)

I’m gonna fire in some 1.5” panel pins. Better than nothing I guess? On the headboard I’ll also splatter some glue on as well. Obviously I can’t do that on the footboard.

But any other suggestions are welcome. :)