Two Rope Working Consultation

Tom D

7 hours ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Hi Paul, more 'technical clarity' is detailed in the Technical Guide 1- tree climbing and aerial rescue (TG1) currently a draft document.

See Arb Assn website at www.trees.org.uk for further info.

Regards

Paul

There you go Paul Poynter. You obviously just didn’t read it properly the first time. ? ?

• Like 1

Hello Paul,

Thank you, I found the document and can see how different it is from the ICoP, quite refreshing to have something so wide in its range, it is obviously unfinished and a little hard to follow structurally.  I looked straight for the section on back-up systems; the first two points are basically the same, two primary systems that are separate or two rigged from one.  Then a suggestion to use a lanyard, which implies that it is also OK to climb on one line due to the length restriction of a typical lanyard.  And lastly, suggested use of a trailed system.  

So two quick questions, are these points intentionally vague?

Will trailed systems be written into Lantra and college training?

As SRS become normalized there has to be more instruction in regard remote anchoring and the awareness of working around basal anchored systems.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Give a few years. When the accident figures come out on the two rope system HSE will introduce a third rope system. Every tree I assess before I climb it's safer to use SRT, so that is what I use. HSE department are a bunch of knobs.

Edited by Gardenscape
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gardenscape said:

Give a few years. When the accident figures come out on the two rope system HSE will introduce a third rope system. Every tree I assess before I climb it's safer to use SRT, so that is what I use. HSE department are a bunch of knobs.

Is that one knob or two ? ?

• Haha 1

On 08/08/2020 at 22:35, Paul Poynter said:

Hello Paul,

Thank you, I found the document and can see how different it is from the ICoP, quite refreshing to have something so wide in its range, it is obviously unfinished and a little hard to follow structurally.  I looked straight for the section on back-up systems; the first two points are basically the same, two primary systems that are separate or two rigged from one.  Then a suggestion to use a lanyard, which implies that it is also OK to climb on one line due to the length restriction of a typical lanyard.  And lastly, suggested use of a trailed system.  

So two quick questions, are these points intentionally vague?

Will trailed systems be written into Lantra and college training?

As SRS become normalized there has to be more instruction in regard remote anchoring and the awareness of working around basal anchored systems.

Hi Paul, apologies I missed your further posts.

The technical guide TG1 is in the process of being revised in light of the recent industry consultation and hence we await the final version which will undoubtedly have further detail about back up systems and SRT/SRWP etc. 

Thereafter it is expected to form the basis of updated training from Lantra and colleges etc.

Regards

Paul

PS did you see the published SRT research project by Ben Rose and Robert Knott available on the website at www.trees.org.uk which will doubtless also feed into training.

I’ll see if I can get a screen grab from dashcam later....

Jollying along the A390 this morning I happened to see a chap up a roadside pole (power I think but I’ll have to check). 

He was merrily going about his business up a pole, on his one, no one else in sight, on his pole stirrups and (I presume) a flip line. 

Single worker, 8-10m off the ground, beside a (relatively (for Cornwall)) busy 60mph A road, might have been power / might have been phone line, no TM. 

Cant help but wonder what his RA would have looked like or if he even gave too much of a tuppeny toss?

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 21.08.26.png

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

That'll be a Russian spy tapping in to the phone network.

I had a short on the supply coming in to my unit yesterday, the first chap from UKPN who came and saw the old cable clip glowing on the metal post couldn't go up and switch it off back at the supply pole as that would be a two man operation. To their credit, two man crew turned up in a couple of hours with a MEWP, all sorted once they'd filled in their RA forms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/08/2020 at 04:31, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Hi Paul, apologies I missed your further posts.

The technical guide TG1 is in the process of being revised in light of the recent industry consultation and hence we await the final version which will undoubtedly have further detail about back up systems and SRT/SRWP etc. 

Thereafter it is expected to form the basis of updated training from Lantra and colleges etc.

Regards

Paul

PS did you see the published SRT research project by Ben Rose and Robert Knott available on the website at www.trees.org.uk which will doubtless also feed into training.

Ben is always pushing the envelope of ideas, and it is mostly full of ideas rather than equipment, so I imagine that it will translate easily enough to younger climbers and those less technically inclined.  There is never going to be a one pattern fits all for tree work anchoring and much like our risk assessment techniques it is always being updated throughout the work process.  Ben and Nod's paper showed that EN testing is often not relevant for us and I feel the same way about industrial access back up systems.  That said, there is a massive field of anchoring ideas waiting to be explored by whomever takes an interest to push their own technical levels, expanding work positioning and safety.

It sounds exciting that the colleges will take the new ideas on board.

• Like 1