changes to nptc cs 30 31

chainsawdom

When I became an approved contractor for a local council in 2004, I sent in a copy of my 1996 20,21 and 22 NPTC certificate.

They rang me saying they were a little concerned at the age of my cert, I told them if they were looking for an inexperienced cutter I was not the man for them.

Fortunately the person I was speaking to got my point immediately and I heard no more about it.

Since then I have won and completed 90% of the work they put out to tender.

its a money spinner IMO simple as that. if any of the companies i worked for aske me to do refreshers i just wouldnt bother working for them.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a money spinner IMO simple as that. if any of the companies i worked for aske me to do refreshers i just wouldnt bother working for them.

i could not agree more , the industry is an ever changing industry , whei first started there was nowhere near the amount of chice in equipment and to be honest after spend as much time on here as i have i dont think that if i went on a basic climbing refresher down here i dont really think that the instructors would know too much about the sort of kit im using as there is no allowance for people to climb on a jock jack , spider jack , vt , etc etc and certainly srt is not really tought so what would i be refreshing on ??? rescue ?? possibly but i doubt it as its practised every month .

As for a basic chainsaw refresher well if i need refreshing on how to fell small trees then i really should pack up now and go flipping burgers !!! Now an Englis refresher would be great lol:thumbup::laugh1:

i could not agree more , the industry is an ever changing industry , whei first started there was nowhere near the amount of chice in equipment and to be honest after spend as much time on here as i have i dont think that if i went on a basic climbing refresher down here i dont really think that the instructors would know too much about the sort of kit im using as there is no allowance for people to climb on a jock jack , spider jack , vt , etc etc and certainly srt is not really tought so what would i be refreshing on ??? rescue ?? possibly but i doubt it as its practised every month .

As for a basic chainsaw refresher well if i need refreshing on how to fell small trees then i really should pack up now and go flipping burgers !!! Now an Englis refresher would be great lol:thumbup::laugh1:

refreshers cover loads mate inc changes in legislation and techniques

what do you think instructors do if they dont know much about kit

all instructors should be up to date with kit and srt as even they have to do updates to still be instructors

even a basic chainsaw refresher for a day would be helpfull

i do not believe you have no bad habits or forgotten something

the thing that always annoys me is everyone blames and slates NPTC for this refresher training stuff

it,s NOT NPTC its PUWER

and how many others have other quals like hiab ipaf ect that do only last 5 years and no one complains about them

but then again there are imo far too many unqualified people using equipment and the likes without relevant training or quals

even wagon drivers now have to do 37 hrs training assessment type stuff every 5 yrs to keep there licence:confused1:

sorry for rabbling

refreshers cover loads mate inc changes in legislation and techniques

what do you think instructors do if they dont know much about kit

all instructors should be up to date with kit and srt as even they have to do updates to still be instructors

even a basic chainsaw refresher for a day would be helpfull

i do not believe you have no bad habits or forgotten something

the thing that always annoys me is everyone blames and slates NPTC for this refresher training stuff

it,s NOT NPTC its PUWER

and how many others have other quals like hiab ipaf ect that do only last 5 years and no one complains about them

but then again there are imo far too many unqualified people using equipment and the likes without relevant training or quals

even wagon drivers now have to do 37 hrs training assessment type stuff every 5 yrs to keep there licence:confused1:

sorry for rabbling

i agree with what your saying bob , i think the problem down here is there has been verry little change in the instructors down here for years , there are a couple of good instructors but on the whole they dont teach much of the more modern systems of working becuse there is very little intrest in the more modern systems , i can see thay i will have picked up some bad habits and yes there are changes in the industry that i should be aware of BUT if im honest i have learnty far far more talking to you guys and exchanging information with you all than ever i think i could get out of a refresher , maybe the refresher methods should be looked at , i can understand for a council worker that only picks up a saw to clear roads in storms does need to carry out a refresher in its current state and they should sit a refresher every 12 months in my eyes but most of us that take a pride in our work and in our trade are constantely refreshing our skills by way of learning from one another - take for instance SRT - i would not have a clue about it unless i had seen it done up at the AA show and been reading threads about it on here and asking questions .

Rant over lol:lol::thumbup:

Maybe the insurance companies may want to see the update certificate should the worst happen?

hi hogs breath

ive spoken to loads of insurance company's.

i said would you like to see my tickets, thinking id get a good deal and they all said nope thats ok:confused1:

What is the recommended qualifications for council work we have up to cs39 but have never been asked for 40-41 are they or will the be a requirement

cheers

Well i was also asked to do my medium felling ticket for said company again to appease local council apparently, along with up to date 1st aid i've just done my CS41 and chipper ticket this year so i'm not ready to shell out for more nptc units until the next tax year I aim to do 2 training events a year.

Basically most the important tickets are be requested from me i have all apart from the med fell, the company is setting up the venue and training provider all i have to do is show up and pay :001_rolleyes: needless to say i as yet haven't bothered, I will get round to my medium fell in 2010.

blimey guys!!! you have to understand that any climbing arborist MUST have CS40 and CS41 to do any aerial tree works!!!!!!! (afag805) any company who takes this industry seriously will expect you to have them!!! it is possible to use the "supervision" exception, ie any person with cs40/41 can supervise an unqualified person with cs38/39, but this means you have to stand there and WATCH. grabbing an armfull of brash and treking it around the corner to the chipper is NOT acceptable.

its about time people started to realise its not about the profit!! that is a bye-product of responsable arboriculture, and it should NOT be put first!!!!!!!! :mad1::cussing:

blimey guys!!! you have to understand that any climbing arborist MUST have CS40 and CS41 to do any aerial tree works!!!!!!! (afag805) any company who takes this industry seriously will expect you to have them!!! it is possible to use the "supervision" exception, ie any person with cs40/41 can supervise an unqualified person with cs38/39, but this means you have to stand there and WATCH. grabbing an armfull of brash and treking it around the corner to the chipper is NOT acceptable.

its about time people started to realise its not about the profit!! that is a bye-product of responsable arboriculture, and it should NOT be put first!!!!!!!! :mad1::cussing:

Well yeah kinda what i think too, after years of recklessly breaking the law and carrying out rigging operation it was time to become a responsable arborist and fork out for my CS41.