Finally weighted my LDV (empty)

Rupe

Sounds great Rupe, i think you've done well to keep it that low.:thumbup:

You've spurred me on to get mine weighed! It'll be an interesting comparison, double cab with all that alloy to my steel frame with box and single cab.

I was hoping to come out around 2350kgs:blushing:

I have the same steel/ single cab LDV, with wooden greedy boards and go to the commercial tip that has a weigh bridge. The receipts vary a bit, but the heaviest weight after tipping is 2400KG

that includes 2x o20's, 038, blower, hedgecutter, climbing gear, lowering rope, and fuel cans, and ally 3 section ladder. And me 11 stoner, so yours will be 7 stone more, plus any flashy shiny chainsaws you may have like 88s etc.

I fill it to the brim with unchipped stuff, and no matter whether its connifer, or whatever it never comes out more than about 950kg on what I've crammed on to it, whether I've mashed it up with the saw or not.

I wanted a TW125 for xmas, but santa let me down on that one.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fill it to the brim with unchipped stuff, and no matter whether its connifer, or whatever it never comes out more than about 950kg on what I've crammed on to it, whether I've mashed it up with the saw or not.

It generally agreed that a chipper will reduce volume by around 8 to 1, for un mashed down brash, so if for mashed down brash we say 2or3 to 1, you can see the HUGE potential for over loading with chip.

I have the same steel/ single cab LDV, with wooden greedy boards and go to the commercial tip that has a weigh bridge. The receipts vary a bit, but the heaviest weight after tipping is 2400KG

that includes 2x o20's, 038, blower, hedgecutter, climbing gear, lowering rope, and fuel cans, and ally 3 section ladder. And me 11 stoner, so yours will be 7 stone more, plus any flashy shiny chainsaws you may have like 88s etc.

I wanted a TW125 for xmas, but santa let me down on that one.

The builder i got mine off said they had it regularly weighed at 2200kgs, and that was with only a few small hand tools in the cab.

It had very heavy drop down sides on it, so i think it would be around 2050 with those off. Just the new sides etc to add on.

Anything below 2500 will be good enough for me, but as others have just said, because the center of the load bay is now behind the rear axle, it may be overloading the rear axle with less than a ton on it:sneaky2:

It’s worth remembering the affects of towing hitch nose-weight and rear axel load,

The further the distance the load is placed behind the rear axel the greater its affects, the ONLY time that nose weight equals rear axel affect is when the load is placed directly above the axel centre

A chipper with a light 50kg nose-weight could quite easily be >75kg effect on the rear axel weight, an IW trailer with 125kg nose weight could easily have the affect of >187kg on rear axel weight.

Good point, b101.

As a guide to how much the nose weight affects rear axle weight, measure the distance between axles of the truck, (say 3meters), then measure the distance from rear axle to tow ball (say 1meter).

If the nose weight of the trailer/chipper is say 100kgs, the actual added axle weight on the truck will be 133kgs.