Warranty on Stihl chainsaw

TTownsend

Then the manufacturer has a coherent focus on customer satisfaction, their dealers will sort out warranty returns.

In the real world, they have set times to do a repair for a given fault, these tend to be screwed down to the point that it won't support the appointed dealers business meaning that they lose money on a bit of kit they haven't sold making it difficult for the owner to get any solution to his issue which turns him against the brand.

That's life in the real commercial world.

6 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

If you ask your local dealer if they can get close to the online retailer’s prices in my experience they will often try - it’s worth paying a bit more to keep the local guys open anyway. I’d much rather spend locally where possible. 

Agreed entirely. I have an excellent relationship with our local Stihl agent. I never expect them to beat or match online prices, but they get very close. Their service is so worth supporting it would be silly to push them further for say £10 more when buying a saw costing £400+

• Like 3

Buy local, support your local supplier and he will support you! Warranty rates paid to the workshop are never any good so no dealer really enjoys doing it. But, if you gave him the pleasure of your business in the first place - that helps to soften the blow.

• Like 2

My local stihl dealer down south, said, we are aware of the internet, we will match realistic offers.
But actually a lot of our consumables are cheaper than tinternet.
Now I'm in a bit more of a favourable situation, I make sure he's earning a better percentage.
It's back scratching.
And I use my new area local guy for random bits needed today.
Co-operation it's the future.
[emoji12][emoji106]

On 03/07/2019 at 20:28, Mick Dempsey said:

You have to be realistic about this stuff.

You cannot be all pleased with yourself about saving 20/30 quid on a new saw and then moan when your local dealer is less than thrilled about fixing stuff on warranty.

Build a relationship with them, then when the shit hits the fan they will fix stuff there and then or give you a loaner.

Mine did not do either, and they supplied the saw.   When I wanted a 462 I went elsewhere.

In answer to the OP yes, no problem in using any Husqvarna approved dealer for warranty work no matter where you bought the saw from, well sort of but as long as you bought it from a dealer in the UK then there wont be an issue.

Some very valid comments though, always best to support your local dealer if you can. There is no profit margin left in selling machines at the current web discounted prices, they are a big loss leader so if your local dealer does get upset when harassed into trying to price match dont get the hump. Its no different than when Mrs Smith tries to chop your quote down and get you to price match a 100ft totally rotted pop because she would rather you did the job but has had a cheaper quote. :)

Fortunately we dont get many warranty jobs where the customer hasnt bought from us but what really, really annoys me is when a dealer (who the customer purchased the machine from) does absolutely nothing to help the customer but just sends them straight to us. I would say 90% of customer complaint  'warranty' jobs are either a flooded engine, a badly engaged chain brake or incorrectly fitted chains believe it or not. A simple conversation with the customer over the phone would sort out those issues rather than sending them straight to us!! In those circumstances the machine is fixed fairly quickly and no warranty claim made, doesnt do us any favours though.

I must say though I will reserve the right to refuse to carry out any warranty work for anyone who has bought through a third party site, ie Amazon, Ebay etc. If im not allowed to sell on those sites, and I include every approved dealer then there is no way I am offering any kind of back up service.

• Like 5