Axe Or Maul

stoker-steam

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for all the tips and tricks fellas, I do like the look of Gransfors Bruks Spliting Maul, and one thing I have learned in the short time I have been on this planet is to get the best you can afford, I have lost count of the times I have purchased cheap tools to make do and might just have thrown the money away.

But I do not go daft, in saying that I do like the feel of a good tool, Fnaar Fnaar:blushing:

The money I save cutting and splitting my own wood and fitting our flue liner and stove, I will spend on a good maul and give it a go, I will not be looking to a powered splitter as I need the Phizz to keep my " Baby " in trim:001_rolleyes:

I do use shin guards, and split on top of a solid chopping block thats 18" tall, any lower and the flyers come back at your shins :sneaky2:

Cheers again :thumbup:

I've used a wooden handled felling axe, fibreglass handled splitting axe & two mauls. Got all the shin scars to prove it! You get to know what works best in the wood you have at the time. Best of all I like my Hydraulic splitter. I can sit a mug of coffee on top of the ram!

hey guys, im a an arb student and havnt really had a chance to get my hands on any proper toys yet. i was just wondering if the axe was only really used for splitting wood? or are there other times that an arborist would use it

Axeing roots when digging stumps out by hand. About the only time I use one tbh. Maul for me everytime when splitting logs.

I personaly love an axe, preferably one from gransfors, swedish made and top draw.

they are the BEST tool for splitting rings of a size that needs parting, and way cleaner and more efficient than a saw cut with the grain to half the ring.

i can chop wood, as fast as I am ever going to need, it is an awsome tool in practiced hands. just ask the welsh axe champs!