Are some people just thick or what?

Dean Lofthouse

Reading Dodger threads from no1 to his present post on all the threads he has posted, you would have come up with the same conclusion. :awink:

He has also admitted he and some of his mates were on a wind up. :reddy:

Shame on you Ed for not looking at the whole picture :P

yes some of us have been on the wind up

it true that i been climbing full on for 30 years plus my mate 28 and the rest 15 to 25 years.

i dont think going college makes you no better what so ever to climb a tree your either got it or you havent

most firm are not interested if you went college there just want some that can climb and someone with common sense. you no good if you cant earn them money

most tree surgeons talk a good tree or never want to be out done. and are back stabbers

never meet a tree surgeon in my life that havent turn turn down good money. trees alway come second

health and safety will kill off some small business in the future it will out price the work

customers are paying you for a service, by call them thick or there should do there home work is not a

profession. they pay you good money for your advice and work

ive meet two tree officers this year that one didnt know the differents bewteen ash tree and a plane. the offer was the same but didnt know any tree.

over the year ive meet some ***** that call themself tree officers that i know companys that brouht them out to cook the books again money can buy most things. im not saying or tree officers are like this lot of them are good at there job but some are. but again these days it to easy to get a job with little knowledge

not or pikeys make crap jobs didnt we all start of making crap job when we was learning to climb

but pikeys are the worst of the low. heard some horror storys over the years. and seen some horrors Especially their women

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never meet a tree surgeon in my life that havent turn turn down good money. trees alway come second

Love to meet you sometime then Dodger !

I have lost countless jobs because I have refused to do as the tree owner asked and I haven't been able to persuade them otherwise.

I am a firm believer that (sometimes) qualifications mean nothing. If you haven't got a degree in common sense then the rest of your qualifications means nothing.

However, saying that. A climbing course does not just teach you how to climb. It teaches you how to climb correctly and teaches you about the tackle you use and what should and shouldn't be done with it. Also inspecting the tree before you climb.

I have sold and repaired power tools for nearly twenty years, including repairs on chainsaw. A chainsaw course taught me things I didn't know about chainsaws, ie the chrome plating is the cutting edge not the metal of the tooth.

Courses and qualification have theur place dodger and shouldn't be poo pooed.

I have no arb qualifications, but tht doesn't mean to say I haven't studied arboriculture, I have read Alex Shigo books cover to cover a hundred times. I have all my tickets.

I did tree surgery 22 years ago, then I knew nothing. I came out of it and then decided to go back into it about 8 years ago, spent 2 years doing courses and my own studying and then set back up again.

If you are going to do something Know your subject, so that if a customer askes you a question, you know the answer.

You also need to know that what you do to a tree is correct and how what you do to a tree affects it. :151:

I still have a deep hunger for learning and will listen to advise.

qualifications mean nothing im saying doesnt make you a better climber either . i have all my tickets what a wast of time that was learnt nothing that i didnt know.

when we went for our felling tickets there was 4 of us between us there was 90 years of climbing Experince. the assessor was showing us different felling cut and then showed us how to fell a tree but when he fell the tree it went the wrong way and smash a fence. we all was killing ourself but he past us on the spot.

I still have a deep hunger for learning and will listen to advise. common sence

have lost countless jobs because I have refused to do as the tree owner asked and I haven't been able to persuade them otherwise.

I am a firm believer that (sometimes) qualifications mean nothing. If you haven't got a degree in common sense then the rest of your qualifications means nothing.

most senceable thing anybody said on these forums. my point for day one

i bet you other tree surgeons love you for the extra work they get becauce you cant have you own way . strange but dont customers pay you for what they want done if you dont someone else well fact

If you are going to do something Know your subject, so that if a customer askes you a question, you know the answer

common sense again

Courses and qualification have theur place dodger and shouldn't be poo pooed. to right but not by the book

qualifications mean nothing im saying doesnt make you a better climber either you can or you cant

My mates son can climb an 80ft beech with no ropes or harness.

It takes me three times longer with ropes and harness.

Does that make him a good climber??

A good climber is one that can access the crown and move about the crown in a fluid and safe manner in order to carry out the work he/she has to do

My mates son can climb an 80ft beech with no ropes or harness.

It takes me three times longer with ropes and harness.

Does that make him a good climber??

A good climber is one that can access the crown and move about the crown in a fluid and safe manner in order to carry out the work he/she has to do

we all used to free climb years ago but it give you more confidence only

but knowing to use your rope correcty is better i alway let your ropes do the work for you

Ill never trust my ropes ill always use as much of the tree as i can its easy to climb the tree than use the rope to get up i just ALT from a ladder.

Who knows what a good climber is the problem is we all think were the best and rarely compliment other climbers even when we think they done well. :reddy:

I know tickets dont even come into it common sense and timing and thinking are paramount period.

So maybe a good climber knows what he/she is doing before they are doing it. I guess step back look and dont just bomb up smash it down. :bowdown:

Every memeber of this site should be considered a better climber than those not because we have taken the time to look for it and input on it which shows a commitment to the job. We are the ones who take the time and want to find out what every one else thinks.:shot:

Ill never trust my ropes ill always use as much of the tree as i can its easy to climb the tree than use the rope to get up i just ALT from a ladder.

Do you always stay attached to the tree with your rope though? If you're climbing without being attached to the tree I think you're taking quite a risk just for the sake of saving a few minutes.

ALT is 2 ropes so ones always connected once im at the top of course i use my rope my jet packs in repairs lol.:withstupid:

Im talking about reaching your anchor point but even still ill always use what the tree has to make life easier.:confused13:

I have a petzl grillion and my main line for climbing but walking up the branches rather than trusting makes the day alot easier.

Pop the ladder up jump on the trunk and off ya go. :gasthrower: