chipper anvill settings

MattyF

if the anvill settings from the blade are larger will it increase productivity bigger chips and less strain on the engine?

the anvill set up on my graveley 625 is nearly touching the blade and resulting in micro chips! surely its putting more strain on the engine?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the opposite I think. Larger chips require larger hp as the amount of torque required to keep the blades moving will increase.

If the anvil/blade seperation is adjustable then there should be some range of adjustment within the tollerance of the machine. Chippers were origonally designed for fuel production i.e. large chips, the smaller chip size is a bi-product of the streamlining and weight reduction of the mordern machine, which has a different goal to the origonals

if the anvill settings from the blade are larger will it increase productivity bigger chips and less strain on the engine?

the anvill set up on my graveley 625 is nearly touching the blade and resulting in micro chips! surely its putting more strain on the engine?

Anvil settings only have an affect on chip quality. As others have said the smaller the gap (1 - 2mm) on average on most chippers and sharp blades will give the best quality chip.

Chip size is dictated by the gap between blade and rotor. On a perfect set up the largest chip is acheived when the wood is cut just before the wood hits the rotor. Smaller chip is usually acheived by slowing the feed rollers down so the cut ratio is increased. Graveleys have always produced a very fine chip. The smaller the chip the less the strain. That's why chippers used to have roller speed control long before autofeed / no-stress as you could chip larger material without stopping the feed so much.

Hope this helps.

well the anvill setting are spot on! have speeded the rollers up and it does make a differance only problem is the chippers auto feed ...well it has not got one!so got to be a bit more carefull now but the bigger chips should keeep my drops sweet for a while.

• 2 years later...