New barrel and piston for Husky 365

Cuttup

Yes I forgot that but isn't there an issue about VAT being different?

Anyway seeing as I am back rebuilding a seized 262 which has a very worn ring, hence  I am ordering bits from Greece, I have three questions:

1 what is a recommended reasonably priced pressure-vacuum kit, as I need to check crankcase seals and also have a problem with my 254. Prevoiusly I borrowed one from a mechanic at work

2 I clean the bores with caustic soda gel oven cleaner, then rub with 600 grit wet and dry. This tends to give vertical marks and I wonder if a rotary honing leaving horizontal marks would be better for oil retention

3 having fiddled and botched refitting the Husqvarna plug shroud to the HT lead for years; is there a recommended method?

Personally, mityvac for vac testing, if you go the whole hog and buy the mv8500 the fullest kit they do then its typically £65 ish. Trouble with buying cheaper branded vac guns is they wear and leak on their internals and become fit for bin only. You can buy service kits for the mityvac apparently, but haven’t required one yet personally.
Honing...... i’ve only done what you already do on 2 stroke engines using fine emery/scotchbrite pads. Spud and others maybe able to offer more advice. I’ve honed plenty hgv engine bores in my short existence though.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Yes I forgot that but isn't there an issue about VAT being different?

Anyway seeing as I am back rebuilding a seized 262 which has a very worn ring, hence  I am ordering bits from Greece, I have three questions:

1 what is a recommended reasonably priced pressure-vacuum kit, as I need to check crankcase seals and also have a problem with my 254. Prevoiusly I borrowed one from a mechanic at work

2 I clean the bores with caustic soda gel oven cleaner, then rub with 600 grit wet and dry. This tends to give vertical marks and I wonder if a rotary honing leaving horizontal marks would be better for oil retention

3 having fiddled and botched refitting the Husqvarna plug shroud to the HT lead for years; is there a recommended method?

Mityvac is one of the best, you can purchase the Stihl unit which costs £££ or make a tester from various gauges and valves, those are the normal options.

Cleaning the bore - Acid or alkali will oxidise and erode the transfer on the bore. Ideally the honing marks will be against the ring direction rather than with it. Either abrasive paper or a light go with a bore hone will do the job, just clean it well afterwards.

HT leads, I just put the spur on, hold it in place with a piece of heat-shrink, oil the cap and then push the spur HT connector in to the cap. It works for me!

Oh - you never pay any excise, tax or import duty from EU countries, China - you tend to get away with it on small Items as they don't bother with duty on small purchases , US - you tend to get a mother load of tax and duty on anything unless you import pre paying the tax and duty which tends to be the best way of doing it.

That's what I have found!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ratman said:

Garden hire spares £86.62 for 372 meteor pot & piston kit. I’ve used them a lot, excellent service. Still offering free carriage too.

I've never had a correct order delivered from these guys, and if you leave a negative or neutral feedback on ebay they block you from buying off them again! I use L&S, they are fantastic and never had a problem ! 

I've never had a correct order delivered from these guys, and if you leave a negative or neutral feedback on ebay they block you from buying off them again! I use L&S, they are fantastic and never had a problem ! 

I’m shocked Toby, i’ve had a lot GHS just recently as i’ve been taking advantage of the free delivery and up until feb 28th they had a further 20% off all orders too. I buy direct off their website though not through ebay, i find it normally works out cheapest.
I’ve used L&S also with no probs their either.

6 hours ago, Tobystreekarma said:

I use both these companies and never had a problem from either, L&S are very much a reseller of the main manufacturers OEM parts, GHS are more aftermarket orientated but both seem pretty good to me, never an issue with either!

• Like 2

It would be a boring video, bit like a tap dripping! You put the HT lead in to it and close the pliers and they punch a small hole in to the lead so you can fit the spur HT spring. If you are "Refitting" the spring and cap, you can use the existing hole! 

Just run that by me again? [emoji848]