small front mount chipper on Mog 406

sierramog

Thank you David,

I can't believe its only mounted by two bolts? I have been over thinking my design!! I dont have threaded holes on the sides like that on mine... only around the perimeter of the input and output shafts, so I will keep the thread informed of a design...

Whats a good way to assure proper alignment of the fitment? Eyeballing it will only get me temporary service, until the rotational forces ruin a seal or two or worse...

This is my major concern.

Really appreciate you going out there on a rainy day mate!

ACUF

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you David,

I can't believe its only mounted by two bolts? I have been over thinking my design!! I dont have threaded holes on the sides like that on mine... only around the perimeter of the input and output shafts, so I will keep the thread informed of a design...

Whats a good way to assure proper alignment of the fitment? Eyeballing it will only get me temporary service, until the rotational forces ruin a seal or two or worse...

This is my major concern.

Really appreciate you going out there on a rainy day mate!

ACUF

you might be right it might need a braket on the other side too. il see once i get round to trying the chipper on the front.

il need to have a think and try and check the alinment on mine now :confused1:

took the pics today was only raining for half an hour today for a change :001_smile:

just buy my schiesling mate, save you all this hassle and stress lol:biggrin:

For sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We often think we can save a few quid by doing some mods our selves, BUT what people forget is that firms like Schiesling have spent thousands on R&D to get a great chipper that works spot on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

And why edo you/ have you reversed the front tyres in one of those pics?

The front tyres (agri type pattern) are reversed so they

1: last longer.

2: improve braking force.

3: improve directional stability (steering).

4: improve traction in reverse gear.

5: gives the mog an equal amount of traction in both directions

6: they climb out of mud ruts much easer due to the tread blocks grip the edges rather than pushing the tyre back into the rut.

An agri type tyre tread pattern only has <70% of its traction in reverse, i.e. if you assign 100 to each tyre for its traction forwards then with 4 tyres in “normal” orientation you would expect grip to be 400 travailing forwards but only <280 in reverse gear, if you run the front tyres oriented backwards then grip is 340 in both directions!

Remember tractor tyres are made for going in 1 direction pulling something and not necessarily to climb out of a plough furrow ;)

The front tyres (agri type pattern) are reversed so they

1: last longer.

2: improve braking force.

3: improve directional stability (steering).

4: improve traction in reverse gear.

5: gives the mog an equal amount of traction in both directions

6: they climb out of mud ruts much easer due to the tread blocks grip the edges rather than pushing the tyre back into the rut.

An agri type tyre tread pattern only has <70% of its traction in reverse, i.e. if you assign 100 to each tyre for its traction forwards then with 4 tyres in “normal” orientation you would expect grip to be 400 travailing forwards but only <280 in reverse gear, if you run the front tyres oriented backwards then grip is 340 in both directions!

Remember tractor tyres are made for going in 1 direction pulling something and not necessarily to climb out of a plough furrow ;)

Cool, thanks for that. We used to turn them round on the front of the tractor that was rolling the pit when doing silage, but i never asked why.:blushing: