small front mount chipper on Mog 406

sierramog

I was wondering what the phrase (make it close coupled) means?

Are you referring to it not being on a front lift, and mounted static?

Just curious,

Anyway, lets see a pic of the U900 setup you have to work with. Does it have the Schmidt or a DIN plate off the front? You need to decide if you want a static mount, or a front lifting mount. The static mount will keep the distance from the front axle shorter, vs the longer distance while using the front lift. I am working to use the front lift so I can easily pick it up or take it off when needed.

Lets see some pictures of the rig please.

ACUF

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am working to use the front lift so I can easily pick it up or take it off when needed.

Lets see some pictures of the rig please.

ACUF

the schiesling has 2 telescopic legs that fit on in seconds, they each have handles to wind them up or down, you can take the chiper off in a few minutes:thumbup:

I have a Schiesling on the front of my mog, they are IME the best front mount chipper available.

As Stevie says making up a conversion will always be a compromise.

The Schieslings come with quick fit legs, which can be fitted in seconds and then the chipper can be easily taken of and refitted as required.

Another problem with converting a standard PTO chipper to fit is it tends to stick out more increasing the load on the front axle.

Yes, Alex explained the issues with proper alignment, and bypassing the stub shaft and pillow block, etc. Problem is I don't have a shop to deal with that kind of adaptation. Since my Case U900 has the larger spline, I was initially considering an adapter before the reverser, which would increase the distance from the source, so I did get the smaller stub shaft w/ complete pillow block to swap out.

The next step is the swap, which will be a delight to undertake (NOT!) Once I have the smaller stub shaft / spline, theres no need for the adapter, and i will fit the reverser to a yet to be fabricated bracket that will be mounted off the winch tabs. My reverser will also allow the final drive to be more centered.

If I could get a Schlesching state side I for sure would have.

ACUF

For what its worth IMO its better to equip a mog to output CW rotation on the front so you can run ANY rear mounted PTO implement on the front.

Get a proper front mounted chipper you can then not use it on the rear of any other tractor or the mog.

Its easy enough to make a frame to go from a Unimog DIN, Schmidt or WM1A/B plate or frame to a CAT2 or CAT3 3pt on a chipper/implement so it is mounted in a close coupled manner rather than via lift arms.

Reversing gearbox are quite common and available from agricultural or industrial places, it only needs to be 1:1 ratio or there abouts, 6 spline 1”3/8th are common inputs/outputs for them as are there male/female coupler/flanges.

it is easier to make the front mount a rear mount as it has its own reverser, so all you do is stick lugs onto your din plate and put the shaft straight from the rear to the flywheel, my worry would be the weight on the front of a mog with a standard chipper on the front, esprcially a smaller model

Good stuff Guys,

I think going ahead with the reverser mounted off the front is my best option. I am already looking at a stump grinder that was made for a tractor, rear mount, so yes, the reverser out front will allow many other implements be utilized off the front.

I understand the U900 is nose heavy from stock, so having a a counter weight is necessary. I have a factory 1500lb weight on there from it's previous life as a snow pusher. This will offset my additional weight of around 1000lb out front.

The CH140HF is 825lb stock. Add the Schmidt lift, reverser, mounting, I should be extending 1000lb off the lift, plus the inherent extension from the front axle.. maybe a few more hundred?

I got mine from a person who purchased it at an ODOT auction, but he never used it. Its a 2004 unit. Heres the link:

Tractor-mounted chipper

ACUF

Edited by ACUF