small front mount chipper on Mog 406

sierramog

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, thanks for that. We used to turn them round on the front of the tractor that was rolling the pit when doing silage, but i never asked why.:blushing:

On a conventional tractor with smaller front tyres than rears the affects with regards to “traction” in reverse are less due to them being bias to producing traction from the rear axel due to weight distribution/tyre size, as they are classed as “front wheel assisted” (FWA) as they have there routes in 2wd design!

With tractors that have equal sized wheels all around then these are classed as true 4wd so my above post holds true much more. :001_smile:

On a conventional tractor with smaller front tyres than rears the affects with regards to “traction” in reverse are less due to them being bias to producing traction from the rear axel due to weight distribution/tyre size, as they are classed as “front wheel assisted” (FWA) as they have there routes in 2wd design!

With tractors that have equal sized wheels all around then these are classed as true 4wd so my above post holds true much more. :001_smile:

Streuth mate, i am seriously impressed....:blushing::adore:

In looking at ag tires, I always wondered why they werent oriented this way to begin with, both front and rear, because since the forward rotation of these type tires mounted backwards would seem to have more grip potential, sorta like a paddle tire. And they look like they would push mud through more effectively with them mounted backwards on both axle.

*And, If I could have found a schiesling chipper stateside I would have seriously considered it, of course. I've only spent 1/4th the cost of one in getting my Farmi/Valby. I have good consults to help with the layout, but less time to do it, if anything.

-Why not just save it for your next, new U900 machine?!

ACUF

Man,

Thats about the scale of work I do currently. That's what makes a U900 seem such a good fit. All in the city and suburbs. All within about a 50 mile radius.

I am still a one man outfit, and if the smaller diameter brush isn't composted on site, or gone to an eroding hillside, or river bank (palmater method), then I bundle it 2'x4' for the weekly city yard debris collection. I know this ahead of the project of course and plan accordingly, so as to time it with the collection day, usually on a Thursday in and around my main locality.

Larger diameter material is processed for fire wood fuel, and left in a pile on site, usually by the road for the lucky locals taking, with the owners approval, (or they keep it themselves, first of course.) For larger scale projects that generate more bulk of debris, then I have a list of eager customers and friends that will drive to the site and collect it, usually with my assistance in loading.

I have the Unimog to handle the chipping of these smaller debris as its much less than making these tidy bundles. I hope to just use a container to chip into off the front, thats why I have this extension off the front lift. I wouldn't produce enough to fill the back of a tipper bin, not the space with the lift. So, it may be suitable, time will tell I guess.

Up until now it has been a zen practice. No impact to the site whatsoever, all climbing, usually my handsaws or extension saws, with little use of the chainsaws, to reduce potential noise pollution, and I love when the customer comes out and doesn't even know I was there... Even when I'm there!! up in the tree or on the ground, etc..

I wish you well in going smaller. The majority of the works here are this scale, and the Unimog is really the obvious choice. It can be here, in this envirionment, what it was meant to be... a tiny implement carrier.. a swiss army knife that doesn't ride in my pocket, but i ride in it, along with my gear.

I can even get into some of our managed urban forests and parks with such a tiny footprint and help manage our invasive Honey suckle, trail maintenance, and hazard tree mitigation.

I don't take large dynamic projects that require more men, equipment, unless the tree can be felled, or pieced out with less rigging. Otherwise, I just don't take unnecessary risks.

ACUF

Edited by ACUF

my work radius now is about 2 miles tbh, i want to work as little as possible, so my goal is to spend as little as i can to make as much as i can, and give me loads of free time to spend with my kids, then i want to do some courses and change my career, but i still need money coming in to pay my bills and have a good life, a small domestic tree service is only viable i think as an owner operator, and i dont want to do that anymore, so if i can build up a good firewood business, then its a matter of getting logs to a customer, simple. a van and a driver. job done.

letting me get on with other things

I hear you. Since my studies in ethnobotany / ethnopharmacology are still underway, I get alot of rewards spending my working life in urban forest management. Helps that I'm nestled right in the area of my college too, so I will see where it takes me, as I continually refine my skills.

Anthropological studies such as ethnobotany and ethnopharmacology aren't high paying professions either, so I don't plan on being rich, nor do I have a desire for excess. I look forward to visiting some of the little disturbed tribes and learn about their shamanistic and their plant related practices.

ACUF

Mark is it OK from a legal point of view for me to run my front tyres in the opposite direction??

My tyres have an arrow on them indicating the direction they should rotate.