changing your life

Stephen Blair

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank i think you are 70% serious and 30% mucking about but that is certainly do able, loads of guys have done it, i am not a natural boss or businessman thats the diference, i know my comfort zone now and i stick to it. I know of guys that have done what you are talking about and more, but if you plan on doing this then get some business sense, do some night classes or get someone in that knows about it so you can still keep getting the trees on the deck. You are still focusing on graft and not brain power though, once i got good advice i put 7 days a week into just weekends and made more profit, but this meant no full time staff and had to rely on reliable weekend lads, then my life changed again so i went back to 3 days a week midweek, but i still couldnt find a lad who was happy with just that that was good and reliable, so now thats why i do firewood, as long as scott covers his wages on the days i dont want to work with logs then i am happy, he is still getting wages and getting good saw practice and its only for 1 day a week usually. I dont want to turn round with a tree empire and 2 kids that dont know me and dont like me either, my niche is small domestic work, not many big takedowns with in my town, so my big kit was just burning a hole in my pocket, if i did do bigger take downs further afield there is no way i could do it this way with a 4 inch chipper and 1 lad

Frank i think you are 70% serious and 30% mucking about but that is certainly do able, loads of guys have done it, i am not a natural boss or businessman thats the diference, i know my comfort zone now and i stick to it. I know of guys that have done what you are talking about and more, but if you plan on doing this then get some business sense, do some night classes or get someone in that knows about it so you can still keep getting the trees on the deck. You are still focusing on graft and not brain power though, once i got good advice i put 7 days a week into just weekends and made more profit, but this meant no full time staff and had to rely on reliable weekend lads, then my life changed again so i went back to 3 days a week midweek, but i still couldnt find a lad who was happy with just that that was good and reliable, so now thats why i do firewood, as long as scott covers his wages on the days i dont want to work with logs then i am happy, he is still getting wages and getting good saw practice and its only for 1 day a week usually. I dont want to turn round with a tree empire and 2 kids that dont know me and dont like me either, my niche is small domestic work, not many big takedowns with in my town, so my big kit was just burning a hole in my pocket, if i did do bigger take downs further afield there is no way i could do it this way with a 4 inch chipper and 1 lad

i understand what your saying shrek find that point your happy with and stick with it , most people are just to focused on earning large amounts of money . lifes to short :001_smile:

proberly misread your post but o well

you need to have your work head and your family head mate. Write down a list of rules and regs(yor own personal ones) and get them printed out and put it on a laminated sheet infront of your work folder(if you have one) dont make decissions until you have consulted this on every job, also have a diary, even have 2, one for you and one for your wife. Plan yor months stuff with the family around the table after dinner, then slot your jobs in around these, being organised sometimes goes against the free and easy attitiude self employment can give you, but if you are not organised you waste so much time, and believe it or not, if the customer moans at you, you just point to the black and white writing and blame that, they then dont take it out on you and you just follow those rules, if you ask a waitress for free toast with your coffee she will say no, because she has been trained in the do's and donts of her job, we make on the spot decisions depending on how we feel and how nice the customer is, that should be irrelivant.(well i know i do sometimes and always used to)

Brilliant .....and it really does work if you balance family and work properly.

More like 30% serious and 70% mucking about. I do want more than a truck, chipper and a lad on the ground though. When i'm too old to climb I want my business to carry on thriving, not sell it, and not just swap, so I'm on the ground and the lads in the tree. You know what i mean, the big problem with progression is as Huck and someone else said, its finding someone who does the job as well as you do/would like it done. HARD. Especially in this day and age.

you look like you have your priorities there patrick, and dan why did you change your name. and howmany times have you put that axe through the roof of the lean 2:biggrin:

i suprised the lean 2 is still standing ( 2 many times ) and i just needed a change and new start so here i am :biggrin:

More like 30% serious and 70% mucking about. I do want more than a truck, chipper and a lad on the ground though. When i'm too old to climb I want my business to carry on thriving, not sell it, and not just swap, so I'm on the ground and the lads in the tree. You know what i mean, the big problem with progression is as Huck and someone else said, its finding someone who does the job as well as you do/would like it done. HARD. Especially in this day and age.

I have two sons, my eldest is nearly 14 and wants to come on board, thats the only time I will contemplate growing my Co, if he does OK he can run his own crew and we will have two gangs.

If his brother , who is nearly 13 wants to joint too same goes for him.

And my two girls if they fancy.