Hedge cutting pricing.

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

4 hours ago, Alex O said:

3 days for that ? can’t actually believe this thread is real, shocking emoji849.png

4 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

If I was happy with £500 for 3 days work something would be wrong alright.

i think it boils down to some people are less skilled than others - I know I couldn't tackle some of the huge broadleaf reductions, or the tricky dismantles with time constraints - and the £150 a day is fine with me. No great expense involved in cutting hedges, or doing the easier tree jobs. The big boys are worth more because they have the skills assets and experience. The fact I can do at least some of the work the pro's do for maybe half or 2/3rd price - I'm still making a living at 500, 600 a week. Loads of people are less successful and still get along - gives me something to aim for -  if I grow up I want to be a £1000 per week entrepeneur master tradesman type effort

Dangerously close to getting turnover for a job and wages mixed up here.

Smaller outfits with minimal gear can do jobs like this for less, sure.

I’m not going to work cheap just because I’m not using all my kit though - why would I?

I’ll do weeding if people want me to, but I’d still charge £450/day for two of us.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Dangerously close to getting turnover for a job and wages mixed up here.

i always think the tree cutting operations are much more expensive to do than hedges.

My hedge gear hs87t 40" (weapon), hs86r, kmht, ht131, rake, blower, tripod ladder, tipper and panel van - I'm not buying them every year, or repairing them all the time. Hardly ever burn more than a fiver of fuel in a day - maybe I need to eat more Weetabix

Edited by tree-fancier123

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

That isn't what running a business is about. You, (Depending on experience) could earn that, or more freelancing/subbing without all the hassle of running a business.

maybe it's lack of intelligence - I've noticed a few people like me - blundering around without ever getting anywhere fast - it's only natural some of the primates will secure more resources than others

6 hours ago, richardwale said:

Suppose if you use the customers  electric and extension leads then £500 seems ok. Keep an eye on the lead though, 200m is a lot of cable.

I don’t have to justify to anyone of you on here why and what I charge..and if you look I said between £500 and £700 which means from lower price to higher price..3 days for above amounts is good going...still leaves 2 days to earn more..lots don’t earn £500/£700 in a week.

the guy asked for some help pricing for a hedge job..and when someone gives him a price everyone jumps on the negative bandwagon..no wonder so many are leaving Arbtalk.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

I don’t have to justify to anyone of you on here why and what I charge..and if you look I said between £500 and £700 which means from lower price to higher price..3 days for above amounts is good going...still leaves 2 days to earn more..lots don’t earn £500/£700 in a week.

the guy asked for some help pricing for a hedge job..and when someone gives him a price everyone jumps on the negative bandwagon..no wonder so many are leaving Arbtalk.

the trouble is Richard is in Surrey - where you have to charge the earth to even consider buying a house, he feels frustrated that he can't own the home of his dreams - the only solution is no more immigration ever

16 hours ago, woody paul said:

If you go in cheap the first and loss out then the second time you make that up or maybe not that's life.

If you go cheap the first time, lose out and then raise the price the second time, the customer thinks you're taking the proverbial and then shops around someone else and, worse, bad mouths you to all their mates. It's not a good road to go down. Some of our customers comment when we're twenty quid dearer than two years ago!

• Like 2