If you were just starting out....

FellRunner

Rupe’s advice above is pretty sound.

Working for an outfit while you learn the ropes will pay off long term.

It will be poorly paid and soul destroying at times, but you’ll learn more in 12 months grafting for a pro outfit than you will from any amount of courses.

• Like 1

Slightly confused by the post. If I have understood  you correctly you may be thinking about becoming a Arborist/Tree surgeon? Both are quite a different beast, all are educational! 

In my past life I also climbed and taught on rocks to a international level, can I climb trees and deal with heavy lumps of wood, nope! Its exhausting!! 

I would say the two skill sets (apart from minor rope knowledge) are completely different. Money wise I think the guys on here have been very generous with the amount of money its costs at grass levels to get involved within the industry. Taking into account training, equipment & basic set up I think you should forget 4-5 k.

I would say go on some courses, link up with companies, learn and see how it goes.

• Like 1

All,

Thanks for the advice, I have a good idea what to waste my money on now ?. I have done some days simply dragging brash and yes it's hard graft to say the least. But for me personally, I tend to feel ok after these hard days.  Last weekend I was running in the mountains for over 11 hours, right through the night. I was supporting another runner, carrying his water and kit. The hard work is not a problem and as for money I didn't get a penny, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

In contrast after just one day sat at a computer I am in a lot of pain, shoulders and traps are screaming at me, the body is designed to move.

I've lived in a campervan for 2 years, through a cold, wet, stormy winter in wales, where it go so bad I had to point the van head to wind, otherwise it would have blown over.  I didn't earn enough money to even turn the diesel heater on at night, so I would sit in my down sleeping bag and listen to the radio. I'd still take that over dying in a 9-5 job to pay the morgage.

2 hours ago, Chipperclown said:

Slightly confused by the post. If I have understood  you correctly you may be thinking about becoming a Arborist/Tree surgeon? Both are quite a different beast, all are educational! 

In my past life I also climbed and taught on rocks to a international level, can I climb trees and deal with heavy lumps of wood, nope! Its exhausting!! 

I would say the two skill sets (apart from minor rope knowledge) are completely different. Money wise I think the guys on here have been very generous with the amount of money its costs at grass levels to get involved within the industry. Taking into account training, equipment & basic set up I think you should forget 4-5 k.

I would say go on some courses, link up with companies, learn and see how it goes.

Yes, I am looking to move away from design engineering i.e. CAD technician and into arborist work.  Either as a part-time gig or for a total career change if it works out.

I have already looked into land surveying (1 year) - This profession is becoming more and more about processing the data on the computer and less about being out in the field. I can only see it continuing as the use of laser scanners/drones become more common, which basically do all the field work for you.

As for design engineering (3 years) there is a shortage of good CAD technicians, so the money can be good, but I personally find the work very boring, extremely computer intensive and it's easy to become pidgeon-holed as the guy who produces all the technical drawings and models, these drawings get passed to the fabricators who actually build the thing, so you don't get the opportunity to practice your hands-on skills.

Rock climbing/mountaineering (10 years), I've never tried to make any money from this.  I know it's long hours for not much pay and you really have to be very well qualified (MIA) to stand out from the crowd and get the good jobs, which are still 90% hard work.  Besides, I'm not really a people person.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Edit: typos

Edited by FellRunner

Ok so you deserve a decent answer although i stand by my previous ones.

Get your basic chainsaw ticket,chipper ticket and CE+1  towing.All very handy too have.

Heres the tricky bit,get in with a good firm,not any firm but a good one who are progressive, willing to invest in you and can offer you a future-not just brash drag monkey.

There arent many firms like the above description but there are some.It will take a while to adapt to the job,hope your good at working in the cold,wet soggy dirty conditions cause you will be.

Id say 75% of arb work is pretty repetative but the other 25% is what gets you out of bed in the mornings.

The times ive climbed big trees on the sunny days in spring and summer i could count on one hand yet look on youtube and those vids are everywhere.

I paint a rosey picture,i know, but if you go into this industry with your expections set at a realistic level then theres more chance of you sticking in and doing well.

Most newbies want to climb after 2 weeks cause they think they know all the ground work,wrong!

There are many great climbers out there but very few great groundies,climbing aint for everyone but if your keen then get aloft asap,even on your own in a park stay low and take your time.

I really hope you do well..

I really really do...

Best of luck mate

• Like 2

As a CAD technician, you could massively supplement your short-term income by finding a consultancy who deals with BS 5837 and doing a day here and there.  You could do it in your sleep.

Though, I'd understand if you wanted to leave that behind.

When I did a national diploma a decade ago, there was a shit hot rock climber on my course. He struggled initially to let go of the tree as it went against his training. He was canny once he learned to climb in 3D.

As a fell runner, you'll do whatever is in front of you.

Good luck mate.

Edited by Mark J

All,
Thanks for the advice, I have a good idea what to waste my money on now [emoji1]. I have done some days simply dragging brash and yes it's hard graft to say the least. But for me personally, I tend to feel ok after these hard days.  Last weekend I was running in the mountains for over 11 hours, right through the night. I was supporting another runner, carrying his water and kit. The hard work is not a problem and as for money I didn't get a penny, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

In contrast after just one day sat at a computer I am in a lot of pain, shoulders and traps are screaming at me, the body is designed to move.

I've lived in a campervan for 2 years, through a cold, wet, stormy winter in wales, where it go so bad I had to point the van head to wind, otherwise it would have blown over.  I didn't earn enough money to even turn the diesel heater on at night, so I would sit in my down sleeping bag and listen to the radio. I'd still take that over dying in a 9-5 job to pay the morgage.

Yes, I am looking to move away from design engineering i.e. CAD technician and into arborist work.  Either as a part-time gig or for a total career change if it works out.

I have already looked into land surveying (1 year) - This profession is becoming more and more about processing the data on the computer and less about being out in the field. I can only see it continuing as the use of laser scanners/drones become more common, which basically do all the field work for you.

As for design engineering (3 years) there is a shortage of good CAD technicians, so the money can be good, but I personally find the work very boring, extremely computer intensive and it's easy to become pidgeon-holed as the guy who produces all the technical drawings and models, these drawings get passed to the fabricators who actually build the thing, so you don't get the opportunity to practice your hands-on skills.

Rock climbing/mountaineering (10 years), I've never tried to make any money from this.  I know it's long hours for not much pay and you really have to be very well qualified (MIA) to stand out from the crowd and get the good jobs, which are still 90% hard work.  Besides, I'm not really a people person.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Edit: typos

Nice post, good honest outlook, hope you get what your after [emoji106]