If you were just starting out....

FellRunner

what would you spend your first £2000 on?

Being a self taught rock climber of ten years, I'm a bit suspicious of training companies, as I've met loads of good climbers who were all willing to pass on their knowledge for free, as long as you were enthusiastic and could hold a rope. Not to mention all the content on youtube.

I've also seen plently of people nearly kill themselves, when they got out of their depth in the Alps.  Same with the gear side of things, I know you can pick-up things relatively cheaply on ebay second-hand, fine for just starting out. But get caught in a storm in the Cairngorms, or on a big route in the Alps where moving quickly will save your life, suddenly that top of the range gear immediately pays for itself.

Spend half of it on courses, the rest on a small chainsaw and PPE, spread over 6 months?   Or spend most of it on second-hand chainsaws/other useful kit, get the basic PPE, then learn on the job and be willing to do some hard menial graft for the first year?

Edit: sorry htb I pressed post too early by accident

Edited by FellRunner

11 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

Dont do it...get a real job....arboriculture is shite....no money in it anymore cause every fckn tom dick and harry are quoting stupid prices just to get work.

Seriously...dont....do.....it!

Haha, ok.  Good job I'm not getting into it for the money then!  I'd sooner live on the road in a van and pick grapes for a living than earn 30k+ as a design engineer, chained to a desk for 40-50 hours a week.  I've done both, so I know what I'm getting into.

• Like 2

Get cs30,31,38 and 39.
Get NEW ppe.
That's your 2k spent.
With that you could find work with a firm looking for a newbie.
Having paid your own tickets means you are keen.
Be prepared to drive long distances and get beasted regularly.
It will take several years of learning within a decent outfit before you are competent.
Lastly stihlmad had a very angry but completely valid point.
It's not an easy ride.
[emoji848][emoji57][emoji12][emoji106]

• Thanks 1

Its about as similar to rock climbing as paragliding is to parachuting... Seems the same but very different! £2000+ another 5 should get you there! Do your courses you can self teach but that will only get you so far! Its not amazing pay but its brilliant as a climber.. Its definitely a lifestyle you have to buy into! But i climb most days set my own rates have a laugh and a cry! Such as life.. Good luck too you mate but seriously leave your rock climbing head at home!

• Thanks 1

Chainsaw Trousers. Chainsaw Boots. Helmet with chipper ear muffs/visor and a cheap waterproof coat you don't mind destroying  £395

CS 30/31 or equivalent  £500

Second hand ms260 or similar (this will allow you to take on your own jobs.) £250 + £50 for files chains etc.

Basic climbing kit from online supplier £350.

Strike a deal with your training provider to do a deal on CS39 aerial rescue ticket, once you've had a some time practising tree climbing. £450.

Israeli bandage. £5

Edited by Mark J
sausage fingers.
  • Thanks 1

Rock climbing experience helps a bit with trusting the rope and not being scared of heights but that's about it. Completely different set of skills that take years to learn. Great if you enjoy a challenge and are happy to start at the bottom and pick it up on the job. As others have said buy some ppe get a basic chainsaw ticket and see if someone will take you on. Good luck. Jan.

• Thanks 1

Do a chainsaw course and get a job as a groundie for 1_2 years. If you can't get employment then you'll never get anywhere. Teach yourself from online stuff while you are employed as a groundie. Do further tickets when you feel you need them. Otherwise just throw 2k out the window. 2k of courses won't guarantee you anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1