2wd Forest Tractor - Opinions

AndyO

Has it got a 3 point link and pto matty?

I’m not sure about the linkage but it has winches already built to in ,not huge ones I think they are only 2 tonne ?? I
I’ve a small alpine with 2 tonne igland so it would not fill the gap but in that set up I run but with a 3 tonne trailer and grab it looks an amazing little set up and is probably a better alternative and a lot more versatile .. just can’t justify the cost after already getting a new tractor and winch this year.

5 hours ago, MattyF said:

I know where there’s one of these for sale around 7k I think he wanted IMG_1532499745.321714.jpg
For smaller scale extraction it looks ideal but the guy said he has used it for big hardwoods.

that forcat is it in wetherby yorks ? if so i was watching it working earlier this year, handy little tool but limited to what you can do with them, i looked in to buying one in feb 2015 but decided to hire that yanmar as it was a far better option for us, the forcats where all purchessed with grants and when i was looking for one i was looking at 5 6 year old machines with from 125-250 hrs on them so that indicated to me that 1) they where not that good 2) there was not the work for them and to have 10-12k in something that was not being used seemed a bit of a non starter when i can hire that yanmar for £50 a day based on a 5 day wk hire then take it back when finished with .

that forcat is it in wetherby yorks ? if so i was watching it working earlier this year, handy little tool but limited to what you can do with them, i looked in to buying one in feb 2015 but decided to hire that yanmar as it was a far better option for us, the forcats where all purchessed with grants and when i was looking for one i was looking at 5 6 year old machines with from 125-250 hrs on them so that indicated to me that 1) they where not that good 2) there was not the work for them and to have 10-12k in something that was not being used seemed a bit of a non starter when i can hire that yanmar for £50 a day based on a 5 day wk hire then take it back when finished with .

Are they based on a yanmar ? I do like the idea of a tracked forwarder with winches for thinning work.

11 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Are they based on a yanmar ? I do like the idea of a tracked forwarder with winches for thinning work.

no they are built in the states , perkings engine about 40hp if i remember right , very flimbsy tracks and week track motors , i do know of 2 for sale one in yorks and one in the lakes both with very little hrs on them the one in yorks has about 400 hrs on it and i think most of that was sat powering a log splitter, some videos on youtube put in bothe forcat 2000 and oxtrack as oxtrack was what they where called befor name change

2 hours ago, MattyF said:

Aye this is an ox track the one I’ve seen.

i think thats the later one, only about 15 machines in the uk as i know of the importer was some where about hexham ? or up that way some where they said it didnt last long when i spoke to them, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyO said:

Nice looking Fergie! Is that a driven trailer? What is it you like about 2wd in the woods?

Thank you. Yes, it is a driven trailer. Although, I've never had a need for it. The large wheels and weight transfer help a lot. I've never gotten stuck once with the two Fergies I have, not even in deep snow.

What I like about 2wd tractors is that they are nimble and there's less parts that can fail. Cheaper maintenance, lower fuel consumption, less space needed to turn. With a winch on the back, you'll have most of the weight where it matters. On the rear wheels. Same thing with a trailer if it is balanced right. Weight goes to the rear wheels on the tractor. Traction is not a problem if the tractor has good tyres and chains when needed.

• Like 1