Wire rope winch on steep slopes

How steep is the bank, is there any easier way down, maybe even from the other side of the river (how wide/deep is it?)

A track barrow is a great bit of kit, and you could possibly buy a good 2nd hand one, use it for a year, then sell it for about what you paid for it.

11 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

Yeah, I've also got a petrol winch but not that model, in the same way as you I'm planning to drag some big stuff  but using part of an old marine buoy which are easy to get here......just checked Jonsies  do the cones at £124.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-MARKER-BUOY-1-3m-high-exc-shackle-Marine-Buoy-Safety-Buoy-Sailing-etc/232850534768?hash=item3636f93170:g:0ZYAAOSwEnZa8Bwv

1 hour ago, Peter Simpson said:

The branches are 20-30 metres down from

the top of very steep slope so cable pullers no

good. Nose cones for skidding are about £100 from

arborist suppliers.

Is there any way you can run a vehicle along the top and run the rope through an offset?

3 minutes ago, Peter Simpson said:

The bank is almost vertical! Have to slide down on my bottom with rope to get down and cut logs with bowsaw on occasional ledges. Wide river and other side on somebody else's land. No access at bottom of slope. 

Sounds like a boat might be handy

7 minutes ago, westphalian said:

That's a decent price.......but it does say solid construction, just in case your tempted ☹️these are often really sturdy 1/4" plus thick plastic  but they do get fkd by boats and are often seen by the shore with a crack in them, easily welded, cheers.

I'd possibly go with the last 2 ideas mentioned.

Either boat or float the logs to somewhere u have access??

Done that with big heavy bridging sleepers  15ft long once

Or if u can get a motor/4x4/quad to the top of the bank a simple pulley, ,ideally high up tree slightly back from banking top, tie ur log/s on and drive ur motor along the top of the banking. Easy and cheap be about the quickiest soloution too.

Tirfors are brilliant tools but u wil never quickly get sick of pumping the lever pulling logs up a banking 1" at  time. Also possibly be a pain if u need to take 2 bites at it as wire rope too short.

I wouldn't imagine a canoe nose would stand up to much use as a nose cone, well definately not the older fibregalss type, the mor emodern plastic 1's might be better but are dear.

U couldn't just mke 1 out of sheet metal rolled?

I have made a small sledge for doing small stuff with the tirfor and made a rolled nose with angle iron fram and the sheet welded onto it.

U could make a round frame with pipe/angle/section and attach some sheet to it if u need extra strength

57 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Is there any way you can run a vehicle along the top and run the rope through an offset?

I am doing everything by hand with minimal intervention of machines, partly by choice for the tranquility, partly financial, and partly intellectual challenge. . How can I, 66 years old but in reasonable  shape solve this problem, working by myself without petrol machines and much expenditure. In short I have plenty of time, some energy, little money! And woodstoves to fuel for the next few years.