Wire rope winch on steep slopes

6 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Tirfor will be very very very slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wXP5EdkR9o

Petrol powered winches are handy looking, but if you’ve got no money..

We used one of the above portable petrol winches almost every day for 4 years (in Scotland).  Pulling: trees over, logs out of rivers and up vertical embankments, trucks out of snowy ditches, hung-up multiple windblown trees off houses and out of tree canopies, land rovers out of bogs, tracked chippers out of streams, brash piles 50m to the chipper, rootplates up/down/sideways, trailers up snowy hills....

Have spent the last 2 years seriously wishing I had one... and genuinely wondering why I don't

Edited by buffalo606
humour

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I was going to keep it, just for the winch, but now I have a flail and logsplitter for the MO it has to go. It is too much money just sitting there.

My BIL has ‘bought’ it (waiting to sell his) so it’s effectively sold.

I will keep the winch and look out for a cheaper older tractor to put it on.

I advertised it in the UK with all the gubbins, got a lot of internet tyre kickers.

LGP Eddie (and Gray Git also I think) converted forestry winches to hydraulic drive for running off spools - might be worth considering to then mount on the front of your loader?

4 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

... and hitting the log as you go down and it's coming up, and the rope slipping as you take it off and then the log coming down on you. All filmed in black and white and played at 1.5x speed.
You can have the film rights for free.

Would it be possible to float the logs down to a less steep/shorter part of the banking?

Then if u want to do it by hand i would be looking at a rope pulley system.

U could use u going down the banking as a force, which woud be simple and easy but means ur up and down banking 3 or 4 times per log, by the time u tie it on/off

I'd mibee go for extra pulleys and u walk along the top of the banking to pull the log up, but u could be talking a lot of rope for a 30m hill (even a simple 2:1 ur talking about 60m+)

Look tirfors are great for some heavy lifting when you need it, but for extraction? I'm 24 and end up in a heap after using one for than hour (spent a whole afternoon on mine pulling ash heads out of a moat).  way i see it is 3 easy enough options.

1. get them to river/stream and float them to a landing

2. we all love working in the woods but the engine was invented for a reason, set up a red direct pulley and run along the bank.

3. you'll probably like this one. set a pulley head height in a tree on the bank, run a line from the log through the pulley on to level ground, get yourself or make up yourself a 3:1/ 5:1 pulley system, anchor this to a tree then attached to the drag line with a friction hitch(VT, Prussic etc) then pull the system all the way, then once you run out of rope advance the system on the friction hitch and so on.

(respect for cutting up dead oak with a handsaw, i was cutting up some petrified oak the other day with chainsaw breaking a sweat) best of luck!

You'd could do worse than consider the cheap hand winches that I gave you a link to before if you've got no cash...  .... £40 for a pair,... if you don't do ebay ,toolstation sell them, you just need to keep re-rigging them every 1.5m , that's why you need 2 .... but still cheap as chips.....and a chain and shackles rather than  ropes and knots, you don't want any stretch ....I used one of these last month to drag out a great big lump for milling 3/4 of a ton plus,  ..unless you can borrow stuff the rigging gear will cost far more than these.......I suppose it depends on how much value you put on your firewood supply, but to put it in context.. a 20m wire rope for my tirfor isn't far off £200 but it'll lift 3 1/2 tons, with this kind of project on your hands it's well worth biding your time... what you need can be built up quite quickly by watching the usual auction site.

If your needing shackles etc I find this place very reasonable and a top notch service... all the best

http://www.gsproducts.co.uk/

7 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

LGP Eddie (and Gray Git also I think) converted forestry winches to hydraulic drive for running off spools - might be worth considering to then mount on the front of your loader?

There are winches available for the MO but they’re slow and not as powerful.

The hydraulic drives on the wheels are the much vaunted Poclain (at least much vaunted by MO) it really has incredible pull, add in the telescopic boom as extra and you’ve got a lot of persuasive power for backleaners and stuff.

I don’t do a lot of genuine forestry type work.

9 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Where are you based Peter?

Sounds like you could solve your problem with basic rigging and mechanical advantage knowledge.

I'd wager you could get a decent haulage system for under £200, capable of lifting 200kgs. Quicker than a tirfor too.

Fishguard, Pembrokeshire