Beech Failure - building damage / road closure / power out

4 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

Could have been worse and fallen on the village pub!

3 hours ago, nepia said:

You've had rain you lucky so-and-so! ☺️

A LOT last night!  We knew it was coming, there's a fail proof way of forecasting Summer rain storms and flash floods hereabouts:

Council out gully clearing Wednesday.

Road side hedge flail cutting Friday (just to make sure all the gullied are filled up again)

Heavy rain and flash floods Saturday!

Been exactly the same every year!!  

3 hours ago, Spruce Pirate said:

Good photo's.  Did it get the house across the road as well?

Branch tips - lower slates, facia boards etc, no windows no water ingress apparent yet.   

2 hours ago, skyhuck said:

I guess no one with the required knowledge spotted the "Big ears"?

LA tree inspection regime with many years of documented concerned from local residents.  A similar age class Beech failed in the cemetery a couple of years ago (although that was Merip and it fell into the cemetery rather than outwards.)  Even so, given the age class, considerable lateral growth, the stem separation visible from ground level, the target rich environment...

I wouldn't want to have had my name on the inspection report since I would expect to be reaching for my insurance documents and burying my professional reputation in the cemetery, but in this case, no one will likely be held to account, the council tax payers will ultimately foot the bill (either through increases later or reduction of service elsewhere) via council tax.

Brings my urine to evaporation point!

PS.  Happened early evening yesterday.  The Community Hall was packed in the afternoon for a BBQ & social which had been brought forward from the planned evening event.  It's only a wriggly tin roof, there would have been fatalities had the event not been brought forward.  The inside of the building is full of tree!

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 16.00.25.png

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

TPO, history of concerns and it fell through a building that could have very easily had people in. This is an excellent example of how dangerous state involvement is in something as seemingly innocuous as having nice trees to look at.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

A LOT last night!  We knew it was coming, there's a fail proof way of forecasting Summer rain storms and flash floods hereabouts:

Council out gully clearing Wednesday.

Road side hedge flail cutting Friday (just to make sure all the gullied are filled up again)

Heavy rain and flash floods Saturday!

Been exactly the same every year!!  

Branch tips - lower slates, facia boards etc, no windows no water ingress apparent yet.   

LA tree inspection regime with many years of documented concerned from local residents.  A similar age class Beech failed in the cemetery a couple of years ago (although that was Merip and it fell into the cemetery rather than outwards.)  Even so, given the age class, considerable lateral growth, the stem separation visible from ground level, the target rich environment...

I wouldn't want to have had my name on the inspection report since I would expect to be reaching for my insurance documents and burying my professional reputation in the cemetery, but in this case, no one will likely be held to account, the council tax payers will ultimately foot the bill (either through increases later or reduction of service elsewhere) via council tax.

Brings my urine to evaporation point!

PS.  Happened early evening yesterday.  The Community Hall was packed in the afternoon for a BBQ & social which had been brought forward from the planned evening event.  It's only a wriggly tin roof, there would have been fatalities had the event not been brought forward.  The inside of the building is full of tree!

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 16.00.25.png

I'm not going to edit that lot, so I'll just pick from the first bit. Are you suggesting that the edge flail will leave solids that could/will block the road gulleys, causing flooding?

Yet a short while back you were contemplating the idea of using wood pallets to de-ice roads.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I notice the BBC have the story up on their Cornwall local news page, 2nd only to "Vegan's shock at frog in Aldi lettuce". https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/cornwall

First off, I’m totally shocked that Aldi are giving away frogs legs!

Second, if they paid 14k for that box section roof I’m a f*cking Dutchman - but since its many of the same muppets involved with that hall as are parish councillors, I’m not at all surprised they have no idea how to manage public money. 

3 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

First off, I’m totally shocked that Aldi are giving away frogs legs!

Second, if they paid 14k for that box section roof I’m a f*cking Dutchman - but since its many of the same muppets involved with that hall as are parish councillors, I’m not at all surprised they have no idea how to manage public money. 

My mates would have done the roof and the driveway for £14k........

• Haha 1