If customer doesn’t pay the full amount can you tip on there drive ?

essexjack

36 minutes ago, felixthelogchopper said:

It's the old Nuremberg defence. Not generally successful. ?

I'm pretty sure that any action would be directed to the company, rather than the driver.

Im just considering the drivers position, refusing to return 'waste' to the client. Now, if a driver is told to tip waste in a country lane, field gateway - something so obviously illegal that would be a different matter IMO

2 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

I'm pretty sure that any action would be directed to the company, rather than the driver.

Im just considering the drivers position, refusing to return 'waste' to the client. Now, if a driver is told to tip waste in a country lane, field gateway - something so obviously illegal that would be a different matter IMO

Befehl ist befehl? I wouldn't want to chance it.

• Like 2

Perhaps not terribly legal it can be incredibly effective. (but boss should do it)

Its a last resort thing, if things have gone bad and the figure is not one you can stomach. 

I try not to let figures bother me, unless its really a piss take, you have to balance the feeling of wanting justice for the long term potential repercussions. Maybe if you do nothing you get the neighbours job etc etc

Your not dumping, your returning materials to client that hes not paid to have processed as per written agreement. Best to load up truck not with chips but with cuttings that match in species (but maybe a little high in volume) from simular job. After returning a nice pile, let him know its only the first load and provide a quote for removing it (which will be the amount owned). The rest you will return to him at your convenience. The reason you leave it in branches is that its easier for you to clear up and less useful to anyone else.

A developer had not paid a contractor (who we had learned was famous for not paying and being a scumbag) for earth works that included the removal of concrete, stumps dirt, rocks etc. We found out it was his wifes  catered birthday party sat afternoon. Sat morning 12 cubes of stumps, concrete etc were set on driveway. 

Wife comes out, with the understandable loud query about the new front landscaping feature. Explained with written evidence of payment situation of 5 figure sum and her husbands obvious ownership of landscaping feature. And pointed to second truck parked with addition installations to come.

Wife calls husband, who is sailing on the harbour. Breathes FIRE down phone. 

Asks if we will take a cheque. Offer graciously declined

Goes inside, brings out said amout in CASH. 

For another 3 figure sum, landscaping feature was removed

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Suppose the job was to include taking away materials and you didn't get full payment, then would it be safe to assume that the payment was for the work you had completed and not the last part of the job.. clearing the site.

So justified in not taking anything away until you get the payment as requested / contracted to get.

As for returning the materials afterwards I would say that's a bit dubious but I guess in your discussions about payment mention that you haven't been paid to take the materials away and will be returning them.. then no arguments when yuo do so

As for adding anything extra to what you return that's not on (say the waste from another job)