Salt in the Diet

Billhook

Buy powdered electrolytes and add it to the water your drinking throughout the day.

Electrolytes replace lost sodium,potassium, chloride etc that are lost in our sweat

Adding salt to your diet will obviously help if your deficient but be very careful how much you add as too much salt can cause raised blood pressure which contributes to heart attacks strokes kidney malfunction and several other serious health problems

Edited by stihlmadasever
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

Buy powdered electrolytes and add it to the water your drinking throughout the day.

Electrolytes replace lost sodium,potassium, chloride etc that are lost in our sweat

Adding salt to your diet will obviously help if your deficient but be very careful how much you add as too much salt can cause raised blood pressure which contributes to heart attacks strokes kidney malfunction and several other serious health problems

All this seems to be the current medical theory but I cannot help wondering how our ancestors manged to survive a whole Winter eating hams that had been soaked in saltpetre , potassium nitrate.  Maybe we need a little potassium as well as sodium and maybe that is what is in either the sea salt or the Himalayan rock salt that I have been using this week.

The trouble is by going on a fresh food diet I was not putting in the salt that is automatically added to processed foods like bread and butter.

It will be very interesting to hear the results from those of you who are trying just a little more.  The recommendation is about a teaspoonful a day for a healthy adult.

Edited by Billhook
spelling
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Billhook said:

All this seems to the the current medical theory but I cannot help wondering how our ancestors manged to survive a whole Winter eating hams that had been soaked in saltpetre , potassium nitrate.  

Id say our ancestors survived by using whatever they got their hands on.

Survived is the key word there....

Now we have the scientific studies to help us make good choices when it comes to nourishing our body with the best possible substances.

Our average life span has increased due to knowledge in how to better maintain our bodies with food/liquid and medicines.

I do however still like to gnaw on salted hams now and again as im sure our ancestors did.

• Like 1

It's interesting that natural unrefined salt contains more than 80 elements other than sodium chloride, who's to say what benefits these other trace elements have, either on their own or combined, certainly not the medical profession.

We and all other species evolved consuming the full spectrum in our diet, animals will travel many many miles to find a salt lick so why on earth would you want to refine it down to one element ?   Of course supermarkets do sell 'healthy' sea salt which is usually just refined salt with added iodine,..... there's really very little sense left in just about anything these days.

I think that you'll find that Lucozade sport is sweetened with the artificial sweetener Aspartame, made from three known poisons......if your happy to consume that, I wouldn't worry too much about salt, well worth a look at what other folk are attributing to this muck.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Macpherson said:

It's interesting that natural unrefined salt contains more than 80 elements other than sodium chloride, who's to say what benefits these other trace elements have, either on their own or combined, certainly not the medical profession.

We and all other species evolved consuming the full spectrum in our diet, animals will travel many many miles to find a salt lick so why on earth would you want to refine it down to one element ?   Of course supermarkets do sell 'healthy' sea salt which is usually just refined salt with added iodine,..... there's really very little sense left in just about anything these days.

I think that you'll find that Lucozade sport is sweetened with the artificial sweetener Aspartame, made from three known poisons......if your happy to consume that, I wouldn't worry too much about salt, well worth a look at what other folk are attributing to this muck.

Couldn't agree more

Here is a link describing the Himalayan Rock salt

https://draxe.com/pink-himalayan-salt/

salts not bad for you.  its the sodium branded as salt that is.  Go for the himalayan rock salt or sea salt from a good source.

Also your diet may be lacking in enough fat if you're feeling a bit lethargic.  Try adding more eggs, and maybe some bacon for breakfast.  Those artificial carbs you used to eat and relied on for energy need replacing with something more natural

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Billhook said:

Couldn't agree more

Here is a link describing the Himalayan Rock salt

https://draxe.com/pink-himalayan-salt/

Thanks for the link, interesting to read about this again, I switched to this stuff a few years back and don't go near the refined stuff....although it's going to be in nearly everything that you don't cook yourself.  Cheers