travellers

westphalian

Any yet, watching a very good BBC programme hosted by a young ??? Snow(I think it was, son of another well known BBC Snow) on the Congo and its sad raped & pillaged history.

A clip filmed in a hospital, "Madam"** the senior administrator/medical person, was so fornicatingly exquisitely primped and coiffured as to be abhorrent, I immediaetly wondered at how many thousands of Aid Dollars she was sypthoning off from funds so desperately needed in the hospital.

Did she care, or even be aware of the striking irony?

**Madam was black btw. 

Did I tell yous about being mistaken for a tradesman?(and I was proper flattered btw)

Having just purchased a decent new-build in the toon, I was fitting out the utility room, other trades working elsewhere, happen during tea-break young Mrs Tang came over for a good nosy around(they had bought the house opposite)

I said nowt,

Henry the foreman joiner, known to Mrs Tang  winked at me and gave her a guided tour,

then kinda absently mindedly, on their return to the kitchen where we were still sitting, introduced us.

Mrs Tang was absolutly mortified in embarrasment,

me? I near pissed myself laughing.

To get a better grip on the neighbour hood we had bought into, I was also mistaken for the Gardener on another occassion.

One would not own a house like that and dress like that, if you understand.

Which is to say, in support of how one would expect ones Doctor to dress, as above statement.

People do judge others by their appearance if nowt else.

Marcus

Per another thread, too bloody hot for an ould done retired man to be working a solid day.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, westphalian said:

I must be an old bigot Gobby cos if you showed up at my place to give me a quote on dismantling a 40ft Ash with a blue Mohawk I’d sooner give the job to someone who said be’jesus after every sentence

This made me chuckle, if I turned up in a smart shirt, trousers and polished shoes I'd probably get the job before Gobby would?

What would you think when I sent Gobby round to do the work, because I'm only the bloke that does the quoting?

This is how the thieving side of the travelling community work. Have a well presented "front man", then send in a bunch of near do wells to rip you off.

• Like 1

I recently climbed for a guy for three days and spent all three of the days thinking what a noteworthily kind, chilled and professional man he was, one of the most decent tree blokes I’ve met. As we were saying our goodbyes, he told me he was a traveller and that didn’t tell me before because of the bad connotations. He had as little time for the scumbag ones as any sane man does. I’d never knowingly* found a decent one before that either but I was open minded and proved right to be so.

*Having only now discovered our resident eggs has lived the life.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I recently climbed for a guy for three days and spent all three of the days thinking what a noteworthily kind, chilled, professional and decent man he was, one of the most decent tree blokes I’ve met. As we were saying our goodbyes, he told me he was a traveller and that didn’t tell me before because of the bad connotations. He had as little time for the scumbag ones as any sane man does. I’d never knowingly* found a decent one before that either but I was open minded and proved right to be so.

*Having only now discovered our resident eggs has lived the life.

Yes, but my plan was more sinister, I only invited you and others to our home, fed and watered you so that I could pinch your saws if you turned your back.

13 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Just to clarify, are we talking about Irish travellers or New age travellers? Or both?

The thread title is "travellers", what's it matter where they come from?

I've met some English Roma that I wouldn't trust to tell me if it was raining outside, I would need to check for myself, I've also got some good friends that are English Roma.

It seems like, (I've used myself as an example) "Egg is an ok guy", until we realised he didn't always live in bricks, now we know, don't tell him feck all or he'll be round to pinch ya tools n shag ya missus.

Judge people on their actions, not on what they are.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Eggs, Old Chap,

one does attempt to judge those one meets purely on their merits,

however from a N Irish perspective, meeting mostly Irish Travellers,

who are always in 2's or 3's and attempting to sell one "some tools Sur",

or "we are fitting carpet locally, and will have some left over"

or "I see you will be needing blacktop Sur"

And with full local knowledge of scams and thieving directly attributal to travellers

One does tend to have preconcieved notions of the honesty of all travellers.

Such is life Old Boy.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, difflock said:

Eggs, Old Chap,

one does attempt to judge those one meets purely on their merits,

however from a N Irish perspective, meeting mostly Irish Travellers,

who are always in 2's or 3's and attempting to sell one "some tools Sur",

or "we are fitting carpet locally, and will have some left over"

or "I see you will be needing blacktop Sur"

And with full local knowledge of scams and thieving directly attributal to travellers

One does tend to have preconcieved notions of the honesty of all travellers.

Such is life Old Boy.

Cheers

Marcus

"Listen my friend, we've just finished a job down the road for the council, we've got a bit of tarmac left over, would you like us to do this driveway, it'll be a good job....."

If anyone is "mug" enough to fall for that it's their problem. Harsh but true

By da way, we've just finished doing a show up da road dare, we've got de's generoratotrs, going cheep, before we have ta get back home, d'es are good un's.

I prefer to run a ligimate business, whether that be from a caravan or a house.

Oh, and by the way, your experience in France made me smile, you mentioned itinerant workers, that weren't travellers. I thought itinerant meant travel?