Crown reduction article - Your thoughts?

Steve Bullman

1 minute ago, Gary Prentice said:

But during those millions of years it didn't matter if a percentage failed to grow to an age where they ensured the continuation of the species. 

Now, when there's a target reach environment with urban trees, even a very low failure rate may not always be acceptable.

You might explain to the general public that tree's fail, best not leave your car under it if you know whats good for you..

The tree's are looking a bit on the big side, perhaps we should fell and start afresh...    a new way of looking at it rather that running amok with a chainsaw everytime a branch swings about in the wind...

17 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

You might explain to the general public that tree's fail, best not leave your car under it if you know whats good for you..

You really need to understand risk management before spouting off. Have a look at the tolerability of risk triangle in H&S literature. 

1000 people die annually by falling down stairs (recently published stats). Lets all live in bungalows. Have a look at A&E admissions due to accidents with wheelie bins, and don't ever consider playing any type of sport with a ball involved. 

The level of risk is so low that even the though of managing trees by felling them before they reach a certain size is incredible!

Amey's PR department missed a trick in Sheffield, forget all the justifications for removing trees - they're simply too big and therefore dangerous! Jobs a good un :lol:

Edited by Gary Prentice
Addition
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

You really need to understand risk management before spouting off. Have a look at the tolerability of risk triangle in H&S literature. 

1000 people die annually by falling down stairs (recently published stats). Lets all live in bungalows. Have a look at A&E admissions due to accidents with wheelie bins, and don't ever consider playing any type of sport with a ball involved. 

The level of risk is so low that even the though of managing trees by felling them before they reach a certain size is incredible!

Amey's PR department missed a trick in Sheffield, forget all the justifications for removing trees - they're simply too big and therefore dangerous! Jobs a good un :lol:

I don't need to understand nothin before spouting off...    I'll spout off when I like to.

Now as to tree's being to big, I mean't to imply they have grown out of proportion to their surroundings. thus need to be chopped down..

an aesthetic thing more than a health and safety thing..    I mean if a branch blows off a healthy tree, so what, let it recover to keep it in proportion to its neighbors but on the whole tree's should be left be..   

Mind you I'm speaking of tree lined streets or garden tree's, I don't suppose we need worry about any others?..