Lucky man

stihlmadasever

Just goes to show planning steps ahead when rigging is essential, it should never be just tie that off and cut...you have to think at least 3 steps ahead even better 10!

Where is going to go ?

Is it going to hang up ?

Is it going to hit me or targets ?

Where is it going to be lowered too?

Is the ground crew going to be able to manage it comfortably?

Is removing this now going to make lowering difficult for other bits.

Can the rigging point handle the load and where is my escape and the ground crews if it does fail... sure you can think of more?

I’m not sure blaming the groundy is fair as the guy rigging should be able to read the job for himself.. I would say it happened down to complacency and lack of thought maybe down too fatigue.

Just my thoughts anyways.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, MattyF said:

would say it happened down to complacency and lack of thought maybe down too fatigue.

Just my thoughts anyways.

Complacency (ego?)

How many accidents / near misses before getting a desk job??

Fair play for posting.... for the benefit of others. 

Not great advertising though ? 

• Like 1

Complacency (ego?)

How many accidents / near misses before getting a desk job??

Fair play for posting.... for the benefit of others. 

Not great advertising though [emoji15] 

Well you only learn by making mistakes or near misses ... I have had plenty ... You can try and teach and show folk rigging or any tree work but I think they only really get it once they have cocked up a few times and if they want to come back they get it.
But forward thinking in any tree work can save time and mistakes and that can be a hard lesson learnt..
I think the guy has the aptitude of a good climber ... even guys like August have had there fair share of downs..

2 hours ago, MattyF said:

Well you only learn by making mistakes or near misses ... I have had plenty ... You can try and teach and show folk rigging or any tree work but I think they only really get it once they have cocked up a few times and if they want to come back they get it.

Much to agree with there Matty, and without wishing to look only at the negatives - as has previously been said in another thread about the merits and potential benefits of learning from ones mistakes, there is some delta between a mistake such as leaving the file box behind and the mistake that has the potential to kill you; one may be learnt from, the other may be your last.  

In the example of the 2 videos, the big chunk that could quite easily have killed him, could have been done in 2 or even 3 pieces (especially if it was known that the ground crew were 'inexperienced") so as to allow everyone to get a "feel" for how each other, and the tree, was playing on the day.  

In the second video, after the fall, what struck me was the apparent lack of first reactions from the ground crew before the paramedics arrived.  No head support, no spinal bracing, no blanket, if thirsty allow the lips to be moistened but don't allow drinking, he appears to be fairly isolated and alone, nobody kneeling at his side monitoring for deterioration and offering comfort...  All of those things are basic elemental incident reactions I would expect (and demand) from the people that put their trust in me and mine in them.

I know it's easy to micro analyse after the event, but that is often where the best lessons are available.

August states his 3 "essentials" for a good arborist and they are good points, it's possible that I'm only able to suggest a 4th through the benefit of years which has calmed (to a point) the impetuousness of my youth....  I'd add as a desirable attribute - a calm head.

• Like 2