Spring is finally here ?

bankhouse builder

On 26/04/2018 at 10:09, Billhook said:

This was taken on Friday April 13th showing the max temp at 34.3 degrees C

On that day I did my morning bike ride in shorts and T shirt

Today we are back to 5 degrees and I have put my heavy pullover plus wax jacket and gloves on for the bike ride

That old saying is true!

B74CD055-504A-43C2-8AC2-5625CEFABE20.jpg

This was taken this morning and I foolishly decided to go down to the yard to nail some felt down on a roof.  Drizzle plus a stiff North East wind meant I was billhooking frozen!

IMG_1665.JPG

On 29/04/2018 at 22:31, Billhook said:

This was taken this morning and I foolishly decided to go down to the yard to nail some felt down on a roof.  Drizzle plus a stiff North East wind meant I was billhooking frozen!

IMG_1665.JPG

And this was this morning.  Sun is shining but showing a minimum of 1.2 degrees . Quite a difference to the 34.3 degrees posted on April 16th!

IMG_1666.JPG

Not meaning to be a killjoy but your 34c reading is a bit misleading. Looks like your thermometer was in direct sunlight which skews the figures dramatically. Metrological temps are taken in the shade ideally in a Stevenson's screen. You can get temps way above official readings in direct sun.

I Remember working on a roof one summer and when it was  sunny and hot but no ridiculously so. Took up an old fashioned dial thermometer and left it by the slates I was picking up. It hit 50c and pushed the workings of the thermometer around so it was hotter than 50c in the direct sun but probably only mid 20s in the shade. 

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Not meaning to be a killjoy but your 34c reading is a bit misleading. Looks like your thermometer was in direct sunlight which skews the figures dramatically. Metrological temps are taken in the shade ideally in a Stevenson's screen. You can get temps way above official readings in direct sun.

I Remember working on a roof one summer and when it was  sunny and hot but no ridiculously so. Took up an old fashioned dial thermometer and left it by the slates I was picking up. It hit 50c and pushed the workings of the thermometer around so it was hotter than 50c in the direct sun but probably only mid 20s in the shade. 

To a certain degree you are correct!  (pun intended)

That window is our bedroom window and faces due West and was taken at three o'clock, confirmed by the tree shadows.  There are four massive beech trees in the hedge and although they had no leaves, they did provide some shade, so true shade may have just been high twenties.

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me why the horse chestnut has only flowered on one side ?  It is normally the same all over but this year the East facing side virtually nothing and the West side, full bloom - late 'beast from the East' malarkey ?

And can anyone tell me which Orchid this is and what are the purple flowers (like a hooded crocus) ?

Thanks in advance.

20180430_104905.jpg

20180430_155118.jpg

20180430_121509.jpg

20180430_123922.jpg

3 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

Not sure where you are in the country, but could the cold wind/low temp have killed the flower buds?

ive never seen as much ‘burning’ of foliage as I have in the last few weeks. It’s really noticeable of conifers and evergreen trees and shrubs.

I'm relieved to see someone else notice a lot of conifer 'burn'. I've had two call-outs to report to existing clients on diagnosis and prognosis, as they are both worried that their ornamental conifers are dead. Both sites are exposed and rural.

I think the damage was done, though, in early March and the gradual browning is showing badly now against the vivid colours of new growth.

I'm relieved to see someone else notice a lot of conifer 'burn'. I've had two call-outs to report to existing clients on diagnosis and prognosis, as they are both worried that their ornamental conifers are dead. Both sites are exposed and rural.

I think the damage was done, though, in early March and the gradual browning is showing badly now against the vivid colours of new growth.

I’ve had the same with a conifer hedge I cut twice a year for someone. I thought it was from the snow maybe though not really sure! Does this recover? It does seem to have improved a bit already

6 hours ago, daltontrees said:

It's not just conifers, although loads have been burnt, I've seen some mature Eucalyptus damaged and loads of small evergreens. Not too many deciduous trees in leaf yet so we'll see.

On 02/05/2018 at 10:26, daltontrees said:

These two photos show the damage the cold East winds have done to both Beech and Yew

IMG_1670.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG