Log Cabins

WesD

Depends were you are building it if it is in your domestic curtilage (back garden) if the ridge height isn't higher than 4m then that would be permitted development if you aren't in a conservation area or a listed building . I have built a workshop and a very large greenhouse on these rights but I did write to the planners first and ask if I needed permission . This was the right move as my neighbours shopped me they came out saw I was following my plans I had submitted no problem. They had however told me wrong on the workshop I should have applied but because I had got written instructions to carry on there was nothing anybody could do.

Nice!!

Yes I’m finding grey areas, some are built within a means and size as to be classed as semi permanent and fall under the same planning regs as caravans!!

We have a nice plot but it’s greenbelt, if we can’t get it removed from greenbelt was wandering if this is a route we could go down to still live there and be mortgage free a lot quicker?!

I built the cabin pictured in photos one and three on Dan's website.  He came up with a team in 2001 and we built it with the full scribe method in about ten days out of some large poplar planted in 1960

We are in an AONB, so I called out an officer from the local council to have a look.

Because it was in a remote place on the farm and not visible from anyone's dwelling, not to be used as a dwelling,

because it was sitting on six huge lumps of sandstone (I did insulate the poplar from the stone with a bit of damp proofing which has proved to be effective) with no services  water/electric and because no nails were used in the construction so in theory it could be taken apart like a bit of Lego it was deemed to be a temporary structure and I asked him to confirm this in writing. There has never been an issue with it in the last 17 years.

I made the floor from ash from the farm cut into planks by the Lucas Mill.

http://www.woodenways.com/log-cabins

6 hours ago, WesD said:

Nice!!

Yes I’m finding grey areas, some are built within a means and size as to be classed as semi permanent and fall under the same planning regs as caravans!!

We have a nice plot but it’s greenbelt, if we can’t get it removed from greenbelt was wandering if this is a route we could go down to still live there and be mortgage free a lot quicker?!

If there is no dwelling on a plot of land im pretty sure anything you do requires planning permission even a caravan as its change of use the council round here have got fed up with people putting caravans a n fields and have tightened every loophole going they won't even give permission for lambing caravans anymore

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

I built the cabin pictured in photos one and three on Dan's website.  He came up with a team in 2001 and we built it with the full scribe method in about ten days out of some large poplar planted in 1960

We are in an AONB, so I called out an officer from the local council to have a look.

Because it was in a remote place on the farm and not visible from anyone's dwelling, not to be used as a dwelling,

because it was sitting on six huge lumps of sandstone (I did insulate the poplar from the stone with a bit of damp proofing which has proved to be effective) with no services  water/electric and because no nails were used in the construction so in theory it could be taken apart like a bit of Lego it was deemed to be a temporary structure and I asked him to confirm this in writing. There has never been an issue with it in the last 17 years.

I made the floor from ash from the farm cut into planks by the Lucas Mill.

http://www.woodenways.com/log-cabins

Some nice work there!

If you know how much does something like the 3 bed cost?

5 minutes ago, Justme said:

Is it on a wooded plot?

If so you can have a caravan for up to a season at a time.

Its been to court & a "season" is defined as a period of less than one year.

There’s a few trees on the edge of the plot :D 

• Like 1