Sugi bar not oiling

stewmo

5 hours ago, stewmo said:

Hi all

I bought a Sugi pro lam bar for my 200t about a year ago and on Friday the tip died.

Over the course of the year I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had to clean out the oil hole on the bar and so I reckon it just gave up from a chronic lack of oil.

I switched over from a Rollomatic bar that I can remember how many times it stopped oiling in 3 years - zero!

Now back on rollomatic again and running fine today.

Just wondering if anyone else has similar issues with these bars. And if bars like these come with a warranty or not?

Cheers!

Just curious but how long do you use your bars for and what is it that makes you buy a new bar?

If you've had the Sugi bar for a year there would not be a warranty I'm afraid... if the Stihl bar works for you and you feel the Sugi wasn't oiling and it failed earlier than you'd have liked maybe just stick to Stihl bars in future. Some people love Sugi bars, some have mixed feelings and some don't like them...

But have to say most folks seem to love them if sales have anything to go by ;)

Good evening Mr Rob D , I have to say that is a pretty smug post ! I'm not taking anyones side or blaming anyone for lack of oil and would have to say that in most cases of lack of oil it is down to operator error... however as the sole agent for Sugi bars I would have expected a little more customer service not customer slapdown ? 

I have found that Sugi bar tips are very brittle but thats just the way they are so don't buy any more, you don't make them you just import them. 

I would have thought education would be better than telling us how much you sell ? 

I'll be doing a little video on the Panther I just got from you and I do hope you take the small points I raise with a little more grace .....

9 minutes ago, outinthewood said:

Good evening Mr Rob D , I have to say that is a pretty smug post ! I'm not taking anyones side or blaming anyone for lack of oil and would have to say that in most cases of lack of oil it is down to operator error... however as the sole agent for Sugi bars I would have expected a little more customer service not customer slapdown ? 

I have found that Sugi bar tips are very brittle but thats just the way they are so don't buy any more, you don't make them you just import them. 

I would have thought education would be better than telling us how much you sell ? 

I'll be doing a little video on the Panther I just got from you and I do hope you take the small points I raise with a little more grace .....

1 hour ago, Rob D said:

Just curious but how long do you use your bars for and what is it that makes you buy a new bar?

If you've had the Sugi bar for a year there would not be a warranty I'm afraid... if the Stihl bar works for you and you feel the Sugi wasn't oiling and it failed earlier than you'd have liked maybe just stick to Stihl bars in future. Some people love Sugi bars, some have mixed feelings and some don't like them...

But have to say most folks seem to love them if sales have anything to go by ;)

Well that's no sugi bars to me then ! Not good customer service that post .

12 hours ago, stewmo said:

Hi all

I bought a Sugi pro lam bar for my 200t about a year ago and on Friday the tip died.

Over the course of the year I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had to clean out the oil hole on the bar and so I reckon it just gave up from a chronic lack of oil.

I switched over from a Rollomatic bar that I can remember how many times it stopped oiling in 3 years - zero!

Now back on rollomatic again and running fine today.

Just wondering if anyone else has similar issues with these bars. And if bars like these come with a warranty or not?

Cheers!

I've used a few laminated bars in my time, mainly to lighten the weight. I never expected any of them to last past a year. I've had Stihl Rollomatics lose their tips on me as well as Husqvarnas(both the Swedish and the Oregon made ones). I wouldn't panic too much. Use whatever works for you(which is what RobD is saying - he's not telling anyone to F off regardless of what the alarmist seem to think). I have a Sugi Lam on a ported 241 that is on it's second year. The Stihl laminated before that one lost it's tip in about the same time. I have a relatively rare(at least it took me a while to replace my last one with it) Stihl 3003 laminated 25" bar. That thing is a little brittle, and is missing chunks out of the edge of the rails at points, but the tip will not die. It's 4 years old. Best $75 I ever spent. That bar started life on a ported 361 and then went to a ported 044 and 281xp, and it just kept working(though I did modify the oiling hole to flow better). The worst failure I have had was a husky small mount lam that died in less than 4 months on a ported saw. It was an NK bar which was likely never imagined to be used on as powerful saw as it ended up on, and I had also modified it to fit a 3005 mount. The Iggy Forestry bars are a bit soft behind the tip, so they can peen a bit more easily than others, especially Stihls. Though not technically laminated, I am just adding this as my experience with them so far.

12 hours ago, outinthewood said:

Apologies if it came across as smug - that was not intended.

What I should have said is most people love them simple as that. It is what I meant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, outinthewood said:

I will certainly do my best... if you post it up on the Panther mill thread please.

18 minutes ago, Rob D said:

Apologies if it came across as smug - that was not intended.

What I should have said is most people love them simple as that. It is what I meant.

TBF Rob is not a smug bloke, have met him at a few of the shows, I use a few of his bars and find them excellent, chainsaw chains and bars have an infinite variety of durability imo, as everyone has their own sharpening style/preference/chain oil type/level of abuse they submit their kit to. There simply isn't a one size fits all from what I have observed.

But have to say most folks seem to love them if sales have anything to go by [emoji6]

Thanks Rob. I didn’t take this the wrong way. The impression I get is people do love the sugi bars and that is why I tried one.
One year of use on a top handle seems to me to not be very long. There are days when you don’t do much cutting up a tree so it doesn’t get used and abused like a ground saw does.
The fact that the rest of the bar is completely fine, I’ve only had to dress it once or twice in that time (and that was more for the sake of it than it needed it), to me says that the tip sprocket has failed prematurely.
Certainly my expectations have been built up by a lot of pro sugihara posts and videos online. I think there is a tree stuff one where they say a pro lam could last 5 times longer and a pro solid 10 times longer than a standard bar (whatever that is).
So for it to not oil well on the 200t has been disappointing but I am willing to try out on my husky ground saw and see if any different.
The Husky bars are too soft and after a year of use I would imagine it knackered but this is not good value.

Cheers

No I don't think Rob is a smug guy ,but, sometimes a re-read is handy before you post ! I've never met Mr D in person but have spoken to him many times and bought a bit of gear from him and he is a gentleman which is why I thought his first post to the OP was a little odd and not the way I would have expected him to react. 

Rob with regards to the Panther I will let you know when we have got it 100% set up and it's nothing bad just a couple of things which like all new gear have un-expected niggles !